Got busted using a MiFi device on a cell phone plan and lost unlimited data

DuaneHaas

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I assumed liability of an unlimited data plan and was wanting to combine my 4 plans (I was on a single line plan for two). So I called up Verizon to see if I could get it done. Well my sister swapped her SIM into her mifi device when she gets home and I didn't realize it. When I called the lady was trying to do it but kept getting an error and that's when she noticed I was using a MiFi device. I tried to tell her what my sister did and thought that Verizon has claimed it to be ok. She forced the line onto a MiFi plan while losing unlimited data and combined the other lines to a share plan after I told her I could just swap the SIM back in. So I finally hang up after arguing with her for a while and try to chat with an agent online. They state they can't seem to get anything done and I need to call back. So I call again after switching the SIM back to a phone and get it re-added to my shared plan and ask for it to be reinstated to UDP. The rep said sure no problem, but said he couldn't find the plan on my account but could put me on 6GB Max data for now until the Verizon Request form was sorted out in 48-72 hrs. He even gave me a submission number to call about if needed. Has anyone had to deal with this, and what is my next course of action if they deny me?

Thanks!

Edit: Just to update everyone. I never was contacted back by Verizon, but I went into my account and tried changing my plan just to see what would happen, and my unlimited data was available to choose as a data plan! So I clicked it and changed the plan. It is now showing unlimited data on my main overview page.

Last edited:

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
re:

It looks like this happened when you had the mifi connected and called for a plan change. I guess it is a good idea to have phones attached to the lines when making plan changes. That is good to know.

I would keep escalating if they won't give your plan back. I have not had to deal with losing unlimited.

Keep us updated when you get unlimited back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

They would probably reinstate unlimited, but if they didn't then you could file a notice of dispute (precursor to arbitration), file a complaint with the state attorney general and bbb.

Verizon has to allow any device so long as it works with the sim, this is part of of open network requirement of the 700MHz rules.

Only Verizon though, the other carriers would automatically switch you if you put another device type on an unlimited smartphone plan m

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

They would probably reinstate unlimited, but if they didn't then you could file a notice of dispute (precursor to arbitration), file a complaint with the state attorney general and bbb.

Verizon has to allow any device so long as it works with the sim, this is part of of open network requirement of the 700MHz rules.

Only Verizon though, the other carriers would automatically switch you if you put another device type on an unlimited smartphone plan m

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

On this note since it's a mifi device... I'd ensure you have unlimited tethering added to that unlimited data plan (once you get it back). Since you would be using a mifi device which is technically a hotspot.. You should have the hotspot plan. Otherwise you're giving them a reason to snatch it from you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

On this note since it's a mifi device... I'd ensure you have unlimited tethering added to that unlimited data plan (once you get it back). Since you would be using a mifi device which is technically a hotspot.. You should have the hotspot plan. Otherwise you're giving them a reason to snatch it from you.
If I had to guess, they were looking to avoid paying the additional hotspot fee. Otherwise, might as well use a smartphone with the hotspot add-on which is more convenient than a mifi, imo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
re:

I use a mifi device when on road trips with the family. I forward my wife's number to my line and put her SIM into the mifi. Wifi for the kids tablet and wife's phone and she doesn't miss any calls. Works great and no hotspot fees.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38