Verizon iPhone = Downfall of Android on Verizon?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
BB is irrelevant at this point.
Corporate types will stick with BB and that is where their niche will be.

It's android vs iphone period. I see the guys going with android and the wives with the iphone. But, initially the iphone 4 will be a sales disappointment because people on verizon are in the middle of contracts and people from ATT will wait until ios5

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Agree.
Those on ATT contracts that are constantly dropping calls might make the move, but current contract obligations and the "apparent" i5 are going to hurt initial sales... I agree.

Let's not kid ourselves...VZW will still sell a ton of iPhones.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Question...
If that were true, why is it the default search engine for VZW phones is Bing?

I don't see the iPhone hurting BB as much as Droids.

BB is a business/Corporate phone. When the ease of use is surpassed with Active Sync vs. BES...droid and ios might have a leg to stand on.
Until then, BB is the choice for business where email, contacts, calendar and security are concerned (remote lock, wipe, etc.)

My bet is at the end of 2011, Verizon will sell almost twice as many iPhones as they have Android phones. And droid phones had more than a year head start AND the first month of 2011.

Wait until next year when more iPhone 4 adapters contract runs down with ATT, iPhone 5 details will be more known/solved, etc.

I'd bet 2012 continues to see iPhones grow and Android stay level if not shrink a bit.

(By the way, I'm a corporate BB user who also supports our mobile users, tested Android and will be testing the iPhone 4 on VZW...I'm not a fanboy of any. I'm a fan boy of usability, reliability, battery life, simplicity, etc.)

Good question, the answer is VZ has a partnership with MS which they signed years before the Google deal. Bing making its way onto certain devices is keeping with the terms of the deal. However, those devices WILL NOT get the DROID branding.

As far as, Apple hurting Droid well look at it like this. Apple is king of the hill when it comes to Smartphone device sales. Over the last year, Google devices have been increasing there presence on the market most notably via VZ. The DROID invasion not only kept VZ from losing customers but for the first time brought REAL competition to the Iphone. So, will Google loose out? No. Will there momentum slow? Sure. Again, where does RIM fit in? Nowhere.

Ok, so RIM has a lock on the enterprise community, for now. But you can't ignore the strides Apple has made into the business sector and now Google is doing the same thing. RIM has no answer for the APPLE/GOOGLE invasion and if they do, what is it?

So, I reaffirm my position that Apple and Google will no doubt slug it out for device supremacy. Apple will sell more Iphones, Google will offer more devices to market and VZ will acquire more customers (which is what they care about). RIM will ultimately be the one who suffers the most in the end.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so RIM has a lock on the enterprise community, for now. But you can't ignore the strides Apple has made into the business sector and now Google is doing the same thing. RIM has no answer for the APPLE/GOOGLE invasion and if they do, what is it?

It will be years before Android or iPhone makes a bullet proof product like BES...if ever.

What strides has apple made in the business sector, with what OS and what device?
Please tell me you're not talking about the ipad.
Combined Mac OS and iOS have less than 10% market share...

Google...they have made strides in the business community with their online suites and products...IF the cloud gets legs and gets off and running long term.
Too early to state that.

That being said...Corporate market is small compared to the consumer market.
And with the discounts involved in the corporate market, I'd bet overall their profits are smaller....

So...they won't be chasing that customer very actively to begin with.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My brother works for a big time company as their controller in NY.
He got a DINC. His company, minus the IT guys have moved to android and IOS. His wife works for another company in NY and they all went to iphones.

Depends on the company and I think IT has this notion that security is infinitely better on the BB. I just don't see that much of a gap anymore.

Problem imho is that now instead of one os and a few devices, IT dept have to rework things to either deny or accept other platforms access to their networks.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My brother works for a big time company as their controller in NY.
He got a DINC. His company, minus the IT guys have moved to android and IOS. His wife works for another company in NY and they all went to iphones.

Depends on the company and I think IT has this notion that security is infinitely better on the BB. I just don't see that much of a gap anymore.

Problem imho is that now instead of one os and a few devices, IT dept have to rework things to either deny or accept other platforms access to their networks.

Therein lies the problem...execs and management see "cool" phones and they make the choice, IT is left to make it work.

You are absolutely 100% correct... unfortunately, in many cases, IT isn't asked for input when it comes to items they are going to have to support.
They just get to try to figure them out and support them in the end.

By no means am I saying droid or iphones aren't nice...so I don't want to come off that way or act like a jerk. Truth be told, I will get an iPhone when they are available to VZW for testing and input (like I already had on a droid phone mid-last year, the D2). I had very high hopes for the D2, it just didn't pan out.

Luckily, my company respects my opinion on most things and asks for my input/testing....
I still get caught saying "WTF" is this once in a while, however... :)

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Question...
If that were true, why is it the default search engine for VZW phones is Bing?

I don't see the iPhone hurting BB as much as Droids.

BB is a business/Corporate phone. When the ease of use is surpassed with Active Sync vs. BES...droid and ios might have a leg to stand on.
Until then, BB is the choice for business where email, contacts, calendar and security are concerned (remote lock, wipe, etc.)

My bet is at the end of 2011, Verizon will sell almost twice as many iPhones as they have Android phones. And droid phones had more than a year head start AND the first month of 2011.

Wait until next year when more iPhone 4 adapters contract runs down with ATT, iPhone 5 details will be more known/solved, etc.

I'd bet 2012 continues to see iPhones grow and Android stay level if not shrink a bit.

(By the way, I'm a corporate BB user who also supports our mobile users, tested Android and will be testing the iPhone 4 on VZW...I'm not a fanboy of any. I'm a fan boy of usability, reliability, battery life, simplicity, etc.)

What android phones have you tested and how long ago, because VZW offers androids geared towards the business community. And the Admin staff at the local University replaced the BB with DX last Sept. And if the support staff were to supply the newer HTC's rooted them placed custom roms on them they could set and admin account to keep users from removing specific apps like remote wiping and the like.
Im not busting your chops or knocking your experince or intelligence, just questioning your background with android. It seems to me you Choose BB because thats what your comfortable with and sorta makes you biased IMO

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Droid, Droid 2 and X.
I tested both the latter, a coworker still has the original Droid.

A support staff that rooted a new phone just to lock them down doesn't make much sense.
It would void any and all warranty..

That's like buying a new car and putting a chip in it to make it go faster...and voiding the warranty right out of the box.

I am comfortable with the BB, no doubt. But i'm very bored with it's technology and interface. I am more concerned with how well it does messaging first and foremost. The better browsing is a no brainer on anything but a BB :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That seems a little dramatic.

Way to many people get hung up on phone names "Ohhhhh I got an iPhone!" There's tons of people out there that are buying/gonna buy it just because it's named iPhone. Same thing happened with Blackberry ... all the rage. They don't look at what the phone IS or what it DOES nor do they make any comparisons and decided what's best for them. Our "gotta have" society has no brains when it comes to consumers that just want to keep up w/the Jones'. Unfortunately for those of us that spend some time researching, asking questions and really shopping geared to our own needs are made to wait by the greedy manufacturers and service suppliers.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am not interested in the iphone4 , iphone5, or iphone6. :p My phones already sink the iphone. so no it wont be the downfall of android would more likely be the fall of bb on v zw instead, ha but I dont think that would happen either just a closer comparison. :)

baberz#AC

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think having the iphone on vzw is nice, AT&T users finally have a choice to be on a best network.

Different strokes for different folks.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Droid, Droid 2 and X.
I tested both the latter, a coworker still has the original Droid.

A support staff that rooted a new phone just to lock them down doesn't make much sense.
It would void any and all warranty..

That's like buying a new car and putting a chip in it to make it go faster...and voiding the warranty right out of the box.

I am comfortable with the BB, no doubt. But i'm very bored with it's technology and interface. I am more concerned with how well it does messaging first and foremost. The better browsing is a no brainer on anything but a BB :)
Are you worried bout the warranty?
Does your company buy OEM copies of software for your PC's

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
:confused: Is this a joke?
They'll still have to pay around $400-500 for the iphone. They get $200 off the retail price.

If you could show me where it says VZW is going to get a 5 in June AND it'll be on LTE...everyone and their brother will wait.

This is in keeping with apple's trend of releasing a new iphone every May-June. Since Apple is now partnered with Verizon, it only makes sense that Verizon will get the next iphone as well as AT&T. It may not be terribly different from the iphone 4, though, and since Apple does not like incorporating new technology in iphones (it took a few generations for the phone to even record video), I highly doubt it will have any LTE support. A dual core processor may happen, but I guess we'll see.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you worried bout the warranty?
Does your company buy OEM copies of software for your PC's

Yes. If they hose a phone, etc., they need to get it replaced/repaired under warranty at a Verizon location...what are they gonna say? Sorry, you rooted it...warranty void. Am I worried about my phone? No. Worried about a rooted phone in the hands of a field user...of course.

And yes...we buy OEM windows and Office for all of our company owned computers.
We are not big enough to have VLAs be beneficial for us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress