anyone else have trouble with slow data and poor coverage

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I been noticing lately that my download speeds and time to buffer music and video are so much longer.. I checked and im never out of high speed data In fact usually by the end of the month I hardly use half my 5gb, but it's near the end of my cycle I see the most slow down.
I have asked boost customer service if there is a problem in my area and they say not. I have done speed tests and got less than 1mbps at times. Most often it's between 1 and 2mbps, but I have seen as high as 7 or 8 a few times, not often. Also upload speed is usually faster than the download speed.

I have also found that the coverage area in places has not improved at all in recent years. Since I had sprint and boost. Many times I travel and my phone doesn't work at all when others that have AT&T or Verizon or even t-mobile have service where I can't do more than make an emergency call.

I am thinking of getting of the sprint network.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that inversion (download slower than upload) on an overheated router, but never on mobile data.

"AT&T or Verizon" isn't meaningful. There are places where one of them will have full coverage at full speed, and you can't even connect to the other one. Which carrier are YOU using, and how do your data speeds compare to others using the same carrier in the same place at the same time?

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Normally when I have no service or slow data or no data I am the only one using the sprint network that boost uses in my group of friends so I can't compare other devices on the same network in the same location. I have compared data speeds using a speed test app with a friend on att at the same locations several times. Att was always much faster

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I decided to switch to Cricket which runs on AT&T. Decision was fueled by lack of coverage in areas I traveled and seeing my work pbone that is AT&T working every place the sprint/boost one didnt and also friends verizon and at&t phones having service too in those places. Boost also did not deliver on the extra data they claimed to give after every 3 months of on time payments. I got the text messages saying I earned it but it was never posted to my data allotment in my acccount, so a plus for boost lost there. With in my 1st month on Cricket they made the 5gb plan 8gb for the same price so I get what it would have taken 18 months to get if I stayed on boost with growing,,, not growing data. While when in good coverage areas boost was great and some of the features like free music streaming from some apps was nice I prefer knowing i have better coverage.

KerryNoApple

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
There are many factors that can cause lag in connectivity and overall system performance, some having nothing to do with coverage area or data allotment.
Start simple first:
Does your signal say LTE ?
- if so..
Is your data switch on?
-if so..
is the app you are trying to connect to functioning properly..?is it up to date?
-are you close to max memory or storage full... this causes all kinds of system functions to stop working.
- have you been avoiding a system update?
- have you accidentally turned on do not disturb mode, privacy mode or airplane mode?
- have you tried a prl update or network reset? for boost mobile the quick code is ##72786 # for android. If your reception is below LTE /4g try this 1st.