java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found

Paul92029

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
When I run the Wikipedia app on my Android 10 Google Pixel 3 XL, as soon as I type the first character into the search, I get an error: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found. When I run this on my Pixel XL it works perfectly.
I think this is causing problems in other apps as well, I have a few other apps that have very strange connectivity issues.
All help is greatly appreciated!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Have you already tried clearing the app cache/data for the Wikipedia app in Settings>Apps​?

Paul92029

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
I cleared out Wikipedia's cache and data, uninstalled Wikipedia, restarted the Pixel, reinstalled Wikipedia, and I have the same error.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
At a quick glance, this error would seem to suggest that your phone is missing a top-level cert from one of the cert issuers.

Paul92029

Aug 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, this put me on the right track.

There is a list of trusted system credentials in Android, maybe like 100. About 30 of these were disabled, I believe as part of a security update? If I enable all of these, it starts working.

Some of these look a bit sketchy, I'll need to look to see if there is a recommended list.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah those settings never mess with some people try to toggle off thinking security concerns , they come with the phone no security issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer