Refresh Rate Significance

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm just curious. Phones make a big deal out of refresh rates. My phone can be either 90Hz or 120Hz. When I'm taking photos or checking email I can tell no difference.

I notice that for phones the refresh rate is a really big deal but on my Acer Spin 713 I can't even find any reference to the refresh rate.

Is it because phones are primarilly game machines for a lot of people and chromebooks aren't? I'm older than most trees and no computer expert but I'm curious. I would hate to reach my EOL without knowing these things.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Refresh rate is how many times per second the screen can display a new image. A higher refresh rate allows smoother animations and if looking at a static image or anything that doesn't move much you probably wouldn't see a difference.

If you scroll text side by side there is a visible difference but it's easier for some to see than it is for others.

Camera app your user interface is static and the camera doesn't update the preview image that quickly so I wouldn't expect any difference there.