Recomendations for a reasonably priced Smart Watch.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the market for a smart watch, having never previously owned one, that will support contactless payments using Google Pay.
I'm not a fitness fanatic so those features are immaterial to me, but I guess they will be supported anyway.
Any suggestions please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking at Wear OS, I wouldn't get anything older than a Fossil gen 5. I have a Fossil Carlyle (gen 5), which I really like -- it's fast, has reasonable battery life, and looks nice (I have the stainless steel band). The Gen 5e might be more your speed -- it's cheaper, but lacks onboard GPS. The 5e is currently on sale at Amazon for $159: https://smile.amazon.com/Fossil-Uni...,B07SZK3JLY,B07SY66F2L&srpt=WEARABLE_COMPUTER

The gen 5 goes on sale more frequently these days -- I recently saw it for about $150 on Amazon as well, but that sale is over.

I would absolutely stay away from the no-name off-brand Android smartwatches that aren't Wear OS, but rather little mini-phones on a wrist running some really outdated version of full Android.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
start looking at the black friday and cyber monday ads. there will be a lot of sales including smart watches. IMO, based the watch on the phone you have. all smart features tend to work better if you stay within the same brand.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
If you're looking at Wear OS, I wouldn't get anything older than a Fossil gen 5. I have a Fossil Carlyle (gen 5), which I really like -- it's fast, has reasonable battery life, and looks nice (I have the stainless steel band). The Gen 5e might be more your speed -- it's cheaper, but lacks onboard GPS. The 5e is currently on sale at Amazon for $159: https://smile.amazon.com/Fossil-Uni...,B07SZK3JLY,B07SY66F2L&srpt=WEARABLE_COMPUTER

The gen 5 goes on sale more frequently these days -- I recently saw it for about $150 on Amazon as well, but that sale is over.

I would absolutely stay away from the no-name off-brand Android smartwatches that aren't Wear OS, but rather little mini-phones on a wrist running some really outdated version of full Android.
I've been checking the reviews re the Fossil Gen 5 and battery life seems to be of concern. 24 hour max. How do you rate the battery?

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
start looking at the black friday and cyber monday ads. there will be a lot of sales including smart watches. IMO, based the watch on the phone you have. all smart features tend to work better if you stay within the same brand.
Unfortunately, I run a Xiaomi Note 10 Pro and none of their smart watches work with Google Pay.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been checking the reviews re the Fossil Gen 5 and battery life seems to be of concern. 24 hour max. How do you rate the battery?

That's true about the battery -- I'm used to just putting it on the charger at night before going to sleep (just like my phone), so it doesn't bother me. The battery is usually down to about 40-50% at the end of the day -- this is with the screen always on, and set to adaptive brightness.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
That's true about the battery -- I'm used to just putting it on the charger at night before going to sleep (just like my phone), so it doesn't bother me. The battery is usually down to about 40-50% at the end of the day -- this is with the screen always on, and set to adaptive brightness.
That's not so bad. I could cope with that as I also charge my phone each night.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's not so bad. I could cope with that as I also charge my phone each night.

And keep in mind that if you do more to save battery (like turning off the always-on display), the battery will last even longer. But I like wearing a watch as a watch, so I prefer the display to be on all the time.:)

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
And keep in mind that if you do more to save battery (like turning off the always-on display), the battery will last even longer. But I like wearing a watch as a watch, so I prefer the display to be on all the time.:)
I think a Christmas present may be on its way.

Thanks for your help.