How to disable battery optimization for App when App runs in background?

Peter Steiner

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I remember another smartphone (with Android 10) where users have to disable battery optimization for certain App when they run in background.

Lets say for example a GPS tracker App: When I put such an App into background and view another Navigation App in foreground then Android activates battery optimization for the GPS tracker and put it to (partial) sleep.
Hence the GPS position is not logged any more.
When users deny battery optimization for the GPS tracker App then this App continues to log the current position every 20 seconds.

Now I moved to Android 12 on a new smartphone and I cannot find the corresponding permission setup dialog for battry optimization.

Where is it EXACTLY?

Is it abolished?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since different manufacturers can modify the system settings menu, it's important to know which phone you have.

Also, keep in mind that certain manufacturers can be very aggressive with RAM management, and despite turning off any battery optimization options, the system might still kill an app in the background. I experienced this with the TCL Tab 8, where I couldn't even listen to Spotify in the background.