How to disable sync for an app in Android 9 (pie)

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Recently got a new phone (Nokia 6.1) which comes with the latest version of Android.
Coming from an older phone that is like a brand new world and so I am honestly struggling with a couple of things but most importantly how I disable sync.
In my old phone the sync could be disabled per account, however on Pie it seems like it is all or nothing.
If I got to
Accounts -> something@email.com -> Account Sync
I see the apps that can be synced under that account but there is no option to turn it on/off.
The only on/off option for sync is on the main account page and that is for all accounts which is not desirable.
Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to disable sync for a single app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which app do you want to prevent syncing for? Sometimes an app may have its own sync option in its settings menu. Or you could Restrict Background Data for that app (in the Settings>Data Usage​ menu).

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for the response B. Diddy.

Am I to understand you right that the list of apps that are being synced under an account is just that - a list? Is there no way to control those other than if they have a setting in the app itself?
In this specific case I see maybe 10 apps being synced under the google account and I have no interest in syncing the calendar nor the contacts. But since I no longer can select not to sync the google account like on my old phone I have to to turn sync off for all accounts including all emails, backups and cloud services, which really seems like a strange behaviour.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So, your Google account settings don't look like this?

Screenshot_20181221-055123.jpg

That's on a Pixel 2 XL running Pie. If yours looks different, it may be a change that Nokia made...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
hallux is correct -- you should be able to pick and choose which Google apps you want to keep synced. Other apps that aren't from Google may or may not have their own sync settings (either in the Settings>Accounts menu, or within the app's own settings).

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Hallux,

Thank you for showing me the version you have. Mine is the same though it is missing the on/off switch for each.
I was under the assumption that Nokia was stock Android so it should look the same (bar some minor changes Google does for Pixel)
I guess I need to find a 6.1 forum and see if anyone else has noticed this.
Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The only phone that runs "stock Android" is the current Google phone, which is the Pixel 3.3XL now. All others are modifications - including Nokia.

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Hmm a quick google have several sites (arstechnica, business-standard, smartprix just to list a few) list the phone as stock Android.
That said I obviously am missing the on/off switches so whether that is a bug on the phone or Nokia modifying it has yet to be determined.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm a quick google have several sites (arstechnica, business-standard, smartprix just to list a few) list the phone as stock Android.
That said I obviously am missing the on/off switches so whether that is a bug on the phone or Nokia modifying it has yet to be determined.
Weird too.... my 6.1 runs Pie with the on/off switches as with Hallux.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Sizzers,

Could you by any chance list the numbers (hardware version, kernel, build etc) so I can see if that matches mine.
Hope this helps....

Model: TA-1050
Hardware version 5.0

Kernel version
4.4.146-perf+
#1 Tue Nov 27 15:38:44 CST 201

Build number
00WW_3_260_SP02

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Sizzers,

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Other than mine being TA-1045 (US vs UK) I have the same numbers.
This is indeed puzzling, so I think I'll try to post on the Nokia community I found. Not a lot of activity there but maybe someone know what is up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hallux,

Thank you for showing me the version you have. Mine is the same though it is missing the on/off switch for each.
I was under the assumption that Nokia was stock Android so it should look the same (bar some minor changes Google does for Pixel)
Thank you

Can you show us a screenshot of what your Settings>Accounts>Google sync menu look like? Make sure any identifying information (like your email address) is edited out, for your privacy's sake.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
So, your Google account settings don't look like this?

View attachment 295781

That's on a Pixel 2 XL running Pie. If yours looks different, it may be a change that Nokia made...

Hallux,

Thank you

Maybe @metllicamilitia can help out, I believe he has a Nokia.

I have the same screen on my Nokia. I have a TA-1045 running build 00WW_3_260_SP02. When you go to Settings>Accounts>Your google account then you select account sync and you will get the app list with on/off switches.

NokiaNewB

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for the late response.
I managed to get my hand on another Nokia 6.1 and it had the on/off switches working just fine. That lead me to believe that something wasn't right on my phone so rather than continuing trying to find the problem I decided to do a factory reset.
Although I am not done reinstalling everything it appears that the on/off switches have returned and are staying put.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited: