Android Slider Help

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I am with UK Vodafone and am due a free upgrade, but there is nothing out at the moment that I like atm. I currently have a Palm Pre...

A slider keyboard is a must and the HTC Desire Z looks the ticket.. I don't want to get the phone on contract and be locked into a 24 or 18 month deal, as the phone is quite old and there maybe similar sliders in the near future with more updated hardware..

What do you guys think on the HTC Desire Z?

Are there any good new sliders about to be released in the UK ?

Thanks for any help guys.

Cheers

EN4

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The Z is a pretty solid phone. And for those that want a keyboard but not look geeky when laying it on the table at a restraunt, it fits the bill. My best friend here in moscow love his.

True, it's a year old model, but hey, aren't most of the phones out there?

800mhz processor is a little on the downside, but the phone doesn't seem to notice. And you can get them for a pretty good price these days.

My only complaint, is that when it comes to rooting the device, you can't use the regular application methods (unrevoked, super1click, revolutionary, etc), and have to use a somewhat longer method requiring manual input. Not a big deal, especially if you want to learn a little more about android rooting.

Reactions: EN4CER69

EN4CER69

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The Z is a pretty solid phone. And for those that want a keyboard but not look geeky when laying it on the table at a restraunt, it fits the bill. My best friend here in moscow love his.

True, it's a year old model, but hey, aren't most of the phones out there?

800mhz processor is a little on the downside, but the phone doesn't seem to notice. And you can get them for a pretty good price these days.

My only complaint, is that when it comes to rooting the device, you can't use the regular application methods (unrevoked, super1click, revolutionary, etc), and have to use a somewhat longer method requiring manual input. Not a big deal, especially if you want to learn a little more about android rooting.
Thanks for the information, it was really useful... Is the rooting alot more difficult then?

Do you think the phone will be able to run Icecream in the future?

Cheers

EN4

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
As for rooting the Z, here's a couple of links;

This is a good method;

HTC Desire Z: Rooting - CyanogenMod Wiki

This method, although similar, is a bit less precise in instructions, but has a good step on creating a gold card from your sd.

[GUIDE][DZ] EASY Rooting, Flashing, Debranding and Basic FAQs for dummies - xda-developers

It's not so difficult if you can follow instructions precisely, as in the 1st link. Read them numerous times, and a couple more so you fully understand the steps. And do not miss any, or think you don't have to perform one of them.

As with ICS (sandwich), I doubt desire z will get an official OTA. But fortunately, Rom Dev's usually port it over to devices sooner than official releases. I'm not quite sure there will be anything benificial with an upgrade for those of us who use slightly older devices.

I use the Desire, and I have no plans for upgrading to ICS, nor do I have plans to get a newer device in the next year or so.

Reactions: EN4CER69