FIX for GPS Location Issues

parowan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
After traveling to NY and back to CA, my GPS location on my Rezound changed to a point about 120 miles away and nothing I did would change it to the correct location. This affected weather, maps, and other apps. After searching forums and seeing that many many users of different Android smartphones have run into this problem for years, I wanted to share what worked for me.

In Settings, turn off Google Location Services. Download and install GPSTest (Mike Lockwood version) from the Market (Google Play). From the menu, run "Clear Aiding Data". Then run "Start". After a few minutes (usually less), the app should have locked your current location. Go to a map or weather app and you should see your correct location.

When I turned on Google Location Services again, my location jumped again to the same point 120 miles away. So it seems the problem is with Google.

Hope this helps.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It may be a bug with the Network Locations apk, a fix for which can be located in this thread. It's hard for people to help when they don't know what make and model of your phone and what software level you're at.

parowan

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Thx for the tip on the potential NL fix. BTW, the first line of the post states clearly that my phone is a Rezound, guess you missed that. If you know it's a Rezound, then you know it is manufactured by HTC and what software it's running. If it was rooted I would have mentioned that, but yes, I neglected to state that it was stock.