Help sought: No launcher, can't boot

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G, running Android 2.3.6, but I don't think this question is all that device-specific. If it is, someone will let me know.

I'm pretty new to Android.

This phone is rooted. I didn't install any custom ROM, however. I rooted it only to be able to use SetCPU and to be able to freeze/block some things, which I did successfully. This is where the problem starts.

I used a program called Gemini App Manager to block certain things from running. I had installed Launcher 7 and was using it for a couple of months. Today, I decided to return to TouchWiz for a while. I had blocked the TW files for some reason, but I used Gemini to unblock them. Or so I thought. I went through the motions of doing so, but didn't actually check to see if the unblocking worked. Apparently it didn't. Not knowing this, I uninstalled Launcher 7 from the phone and rebooted.

Now I can't get past the Samsung splash screen. It appears that TW wasn't unblocked, and with Launcher 7 gone, there's nowhere for it to go.

Yes, I'm an idiot. Let's get that out of the way first. The question is: Is there any way to fix this?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
If you have a custom Recovery, flash any supported ROM after wiping data via recovery. If you have a stock recovery, wipe data/factory reset and try rebooting. If that doesn't work, find a stock update.zip file for your device, move it to the sd card, wipe data, and flash. Note that all of these options will erase your data, and while that stinks, it is better than having a shiny new paperweight on your desk.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you have a custom Recovery, flash any supported ROM after wiping data via recovery. If you have a stock recovery, wipe data/factory reset and try rebooting. If that doesn't work, find a stock update.zip file for your device, move it to the sd card, wipe data, and flash. Note that all of these options will erase your data, and while that stinks, it is better than having a shiny new paperweight on your desk.

I don't have a custom Recovery, I'm pretty sure, since I don't know what this is. I have the stock .tar and .pit files that I used when rooting the device, that's all.

I don't know how to move anything to the SD card, wipe data, etc. when I can't get past the Samsung flash screen. The computer doesn't recognize the device at all in this state (although Odin will allow me to re-install those .pit and .tar files).

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
What tool did you use to root? Also, the computer should recognize your phone while in recovery. Lastly, maybe look at this thread over at xda.

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was able to solve the problem by going into manual boot mode and selecting wipe all data. Then, using adb, I installed Go Launcher. I'm not sure if that step was even needed, because when the reboot finished, TouchWiz was back, and I never needed Go.