Making the switch from Windows to Android(Droid X)

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So I'm FINALLY making the switch to Android on July 15. Im sure some of you came from Windows Mobile 6.5.3. So my question is... What are some things that i should know about b4 switching? I hated the learning curve when i got my first(and as of today only) smartphone which was the Samsung Omnia. The first 2 weeks i wanted to throw it against a wall. What are some tips you guys can give me about making the switch a little less painful.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
step 1 - stop thinking the learning Android will be difficult. The system is pretty intuitive and you should be up and running in no time.
step 2 - life as an Android user keeps getting easier. You learn more as you use it. Theres a great community to help you along the way.
step 3 - once you start using things like swype, Google Nav, voice to text, Google Voice, and later on custom roms, you will come to realize how simple Android really is. There may be an occasional hiccup but thats why we are here to help you out.

i'd say strap up and get your feet wet. I think in the end you will be glad you made the switch to Android.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The hardest part is going from a dumb phone to a smart phone. You have done this already so you will not have as much trouble as you did before.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
WinMo barely counts as a "smart" phone lol.

In other regards, the question most people have is how to transfer contacts. Android phones sync with Google, so if you can get your contacts synced up to Google Contacts somehow you will be set.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have my contacts synced with google already. It was difficult with WM but i got it done.

I gotta say though not exactly the kind of responces i was looking for but thanks anyway. I guess I will just have to wait until i get the phone and then scour the tips and tricks section. What i was looking for was something that i may not know how to do right off the bat that you guys may have learned and had one of those.."Oh wow thats how you do that" Or "Whoa thats so cool, I didnt know you could do that" sort of moments. Or maybe some apps that you could recommend? Either way I cant wait until July 15th to go pick up my Droid X. This phone is gonna be sick!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The big thing for me was just having a quick, responsive UI and fully functional browser

I miss resistive touch screens though; capacitive screens kill me with their inaccuracy and the greasy fingerprints I leave all over

(edit: I'm pretty much the only guy on the entire planet who feels this way, apparently, so don't worry..)

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah well click on some of the links in my signature.... I have guides for setting up a number of super neat things in Android using some awesome apps. I am not sure if you can even do some of that stuff in WinMo.

But having free turn-by-turn navigation is always a big wow factor to many people ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca