Only get one notification alert until you check notification bar?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just my first 24 hours with this thing, so excuse my noobiness...

I have set up separate notification alerts for each of my email accounts, text messages, etc..

I have noticed that once I get an alert sound, I don't get another alert sound for any new event until I check my notification bar. The notification bar updates the different icons, but I don't get a new audible alert.

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about repeat notifications for the same event....I am talking about a new notification for a new event. In other words, if I get an alert for an email, but I don't check the notification bar, and then a few minutes later I get a text message, I don't get an alert for the text message. I would have to have cleared the email notification first to have received a new notification.

Is there a way around this?

The reason I want this feature is since I have different audible alerts for different notifications, there may be some notifications I want to ignore and some I want to respond to immediately. If I first get a notification alert of something I don't care about, and then a few minutes later get something that I would care about, I won't know that I've gotten that new notification until I look at my phone.

Thanks,

Edited in an attempt to clarify my question

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You'd need to find an app for repeat notifications unless the particular app generating the notification supports repeat notifications.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
And I take it the stock GMail app does not have this feature? And the Google-developed Voice app does not generate a new notification if there is another notification uncleared? If not, that's pretty wild.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
And just to be clear, I'm not talking about repeat notifications in the sense of one email notification repeats until I check it. I'm talking about new notifications for new events.... Each new email or text that comes in should get a new notification.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure when its going to hit what ever phone your using, but in android 2.2 gmail theres a setting for only notify once. So I would assume if you uncheck it, you can be notified for new emails your receive.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, crisis averted, hahah.

I noticed that I was having network trouble also...even though connected via wifi, I wasn't getting emails, had trouble with app market, etc. Reboot fixed everything.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure when its going to hit what ever phone your using, but in android 2.2 gmail theres a setting for only notify once. So I would assume if you uncheck it, you can be notified for new emails your receive.

If I may ask another question, in 2.2, will gmail give you an option to unthread the messages? Call me old fashion, but I like seeing the individual emails, not all of the emails all clumped together in one thread.

GFree#AC

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Voicemail notifier

Not sure if this will completely satisfy you, but one of my principe beefs with android was not being able to get repeating audible alerts for voicemail. I tried several apps that purported to do this, but they either didn't work as advertised or stopped working after a few days. I'm now using Voicemail Notifier developed by extorian and it is working well. Plus it was easy to set up. IMHO android should have this type of app built in. The developer does note that this app will not work on networks that do not have a Message Waiting Indicator flag. I have a Moment phone on the Sprint network.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My chief complaint with this OS is its lack of consistency with alerts, both device and Bluetooth. I am getting better with the keyboard (3 words in 2 minutes without a mistake), but the alerts and transfer of calls is just not right. It is to the point that I have to turn off/on the device once a day to keep it transferring calls to the headset; otherwise it rings to the headset, it acknowledges at the headset and voice only through the speaker or no voice at all. A reset makes it right again. The device is fast though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buyonbudget