removing manufacturers UI

mgh24

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried searching, but I must not be using the correct search terms, because I am unable to find the answers to my noob questions.

1. Can I get rid of any/all manufacturers interface/skins if I root? In other words, get down to the ?stock? Google Android.
1.1 Should I care about manufacturers UI? I have heard complaints that they slow the O/S down.

2. Without rooting, I am at the manufacturers mercy of when/if I get O/S updates?
2.1 Are there phones that manufacturers no longer support with updates at all?

3. If I have rooted, are there hardware limits when updating to the newest O/S?

Thanks for any help.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have tried searching, but I must not be using the correct search terms, because I am unable to find the answers to my noob questions.

1. Can I get rid of any/all manufacturers interface/skins if I root? In other words, get down to the “stock” Google Android.
1.1 Should I care about manufacturers UI? I have heard complaints that they slow the O/S down.

2. Without rooting, I am at the manufacturers mercy of when/if I get O/S updates?
2.1 Are there phones that manufacturers no longer support with updates at all?

3. If I have rooted, are there hardware limits when updating to the newest O/S?

Thanks for any help.
1. yes, by rooting and installing custom rom.
1.1 I really prefer stock Android. so i always will only buy Nexus.

2.Yes.
2.1 Yes, there are.

3.depends on what hardware you have. some old hardware still get the latest but some dont.
it also depends on how popular your device was.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
1.1 it really depends. Both Sense and Touchwiz add some nice things that stock Android doesn't. I don't really have experience with Blur though.

But I have the S3 now. The camera burst mode and motion controls are all nice. But it also has stuff I don't like, so it's a trade off.