Android Noob

ankoil

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right section...

I'm currently on a BlackBerry (os6) and iPhone 4. 2 different contracts. My BlackBerry is due for an upgrade since earlier this year, iPhone early next year, and really indecisive about what to get. My options are wait for a BB10, get an iPhone 5 (2 iPhones? :S), or get an Android. I still have use for BBM and the emailing, and I use the iPhone for fun. However, I have never really used an Android properly so I'm completely new the experience. The phone I had in mind was the Samsung Note II, but there are so many others to choose from too. Could someone perhaps give me an idea on what the phone is like? Or possibly other Androids. All I know right now really is that it's customizable and share some apps the same as iPhone.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
That's a very open ended question, but I'm sure you could get your share of opinions. Would you mind being a bit more specific?

What carrier are you on?

What do you want from your new phone i.e. what's most important to you?

Without knowing anything - if you can deal with the size and the cost is not prohibitive I think the Note2 is just about the best "phone" out there right now as far as raw power (specs) and features. If I had $300 to spare I'd sign up for one, personally. Perhaps it's more than you need figuratively and literally?

To me the best thing about Android is the customizabity - your options are seemingly endless as far as how your phone operates and looks and you can really make your phone your own. Unlike BB and IOS who's OSs are basically glorified app drawers as far as UI you have lots of choice here. There are areas where it comes up short, but Android imo is the most flexible and there's little in the way of things that it can't handle.

ankoil

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's a very open ended question, but I'm sure you could get your share of opinions. Would you mind being a bit more specific?

What carrier are you on?

What do you want from your new phone i.e. what's most important to you?

Without knowing anything - if you can deal with the size and the cost is not prohibitive I think the Note2 is just about the best "phone" out there right now as far as raw power (specs) and features. If I had $300 to spare I'd sign up for one, personally. Perhaps it's more than you need figuratively and literally?

To me the best thing about Android is the customizabity - your options are seemingly endless as far as how your phone operates and looks and you can really make your phone your own. Unlike BB and IOS who's OSs are basically glorified app drawers as far as UI you have lots of choice here. There are areas where it comes up short, but Android imo is the most flexible and there's little in the way of things that it can't handle.

I'm on Vodafone. The price isn't really a big issue, I'll be on the same price plan as my Torch or maybe cheaper. I like the size, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to fit in into my pocket and stuff. I take pictures, and watch things a lot on my phone. I tend to use the iPhone 4 a lot more than the BlackBerry unless I'm typing a lot, so I guess this would be better right? Customization seems fun, which I can't do in the other 2, and I never really bothered with themes as they got boring after a while, and I found BlackBerry themes caused more problems than anything. Someone told me somewhere that although the specs seem beefy, the S3 ran smoother than the Note 2, not sure if that's true or not.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Note 2 is my current phone of choice for when my upgrade comes. I like the size, stylus, and Samsung as a manufacturer. I have an X2 right now which has a 4.3 inch display, and, I can imagine what it would be like to use a Note 2, though I have not held one. I will miss being able to one hand my phone, as I can't imagine it being possible with a phone that size. But, I'll gladly give that up for all that screen real estate.

I'm just wondering if I'll be able to fit in into my pocket

I have a seven inch tablet and it fits in my pocket. I know it's there, but, it still fits. I would think the Note 2 wouldn't feel like that, but, I can't say.

Yeah, I heard the popular ones like Instagram and Angry Birds (I don't play it anymore), are not as good.

Angry Birds runs flawlessly on my X2, and, it's an old phone, and, not really a great phone. Lol.

ankoil

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Note 2 is my current phone of choice for when my upgrade comes. I like the size, stylus, and Samsung as a manufacturer. I have an X2 right now which has a 4.3 inch display, and, I can imagine what it would be like to use a Note 2, though I have not held one. I will miss being able to one hand my phone, as I can't imagine it being possible with a phone that size. But, I'll gladly give that up for all that screen real estate.

I have a seven inch tablet and it fits in my pocket. I know it's there, but, it still fits. I would think the Note 2 wouldn't feel like that, but, I can't say.

Angry Birds runs flawlessly on my X2, and, it's an old phone, and, not really a great phone. Lol.

Haha, cool. :p Yeah, I'll be missing out on 1 handing my phone again too. I don't think I ever use 2 hands anymore, unless I have to type really fast, it's just more convenient. I hadn't made the jump yet as I'm still considering. I'll be missing out on BBM/Emailing system of RIM. I've gotten used to it for so long. I could just buy a Pay As You Go sim card for it, but I don't think any normal person would have the need for 3 phones haha.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Haha, cool. :p Yeah, I'll be missing out on 1 handing my phone again too. I don't think I ever use 2 hands anymore, unless I have to type really fast, it's just more convenient. I hadn't made the jump yet as I'm still considering. I'll be missing out on BBM/Emailing system of RIM. I've gotten used to it for so long. I could just buy a Pay As You Go sim card for it, but I don't think any normal person would have the need for 3 phones haha.

Lol, no, three phones seems a bit excessive.

I use both one and two hands, depends on what I'm doing. 99% of my typing is two handed. It's way faster.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't be missing BBM if I made the transition to Android.

ankoil

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be missing BBM if I made the transition to Android.

I have around 100 contacts on mine, so I use it quite regularly. I have other messengers on my BB / iPhone, but they just sit there burning battery power. Nobody talks to me on them, and What's App is just used instead of a text.