How do I remove an icon from the bottom taskbar

llanita

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to free up space because I'm having problems updating apps because not enough disk space. I tried to get rid of Polaris Viewer which I never use and tried to drag it to the waste bin but it stuck on the bottom taskbar and I don't know how to remove it.
Thanks

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to free up space because I'm having problems updating apps because not enough disk space. I tried to get rid of Polaris Viewer which I never use and tried to drag it to the waste bin but it stuck on the bottom taskbar and I don't know how to remove it.
Thanks
What device are you using? Do you have a custom launcher?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Dragging icons from your homescreen to the garbage doesn't uninstall it--it only takes it off the homescreen. To uninstall, you need to go to Settings/Apps, and look for Polaris Viewer. If it's under Downloaded, then select it, and tap Uninstall. If you can only find it under All Apps, it's probably a preinstalled app that you can't uninstall unless you root your device. If you have Android 4.0 or above, you could Disable it from the Settings/Apps menu, although I'm not sure how much memory you can free up this way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It would really help to know what phone you're using too so we can perhaps give you an easier way to do what the user before me just said.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

llanita

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, LG Enlighten.k
It seems Polaris Viewer was pre-loaded so I can't get rid of it. What I would like to know is how to remove it from the bottom task-bar? It stuck there when I tried to drag it down to the garbage.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Best bet is to root the phone, which will give you permission to un install pretty much any app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

llanita

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
forgive me for being abrupt, but the reason I came on here was to find out how to remove the polaris viewer icon from the bottom taskbar, which ended up there because I was trying to free up more space. Forget that it's the Polaris Viewer icon, I just want to know how to move any of the icons from the bottom taskbar

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Dude. If your carrier has locked it, there's nothing you can do. Either install a new launcher, root your phone, or live with it. those are your only choices.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
forgive me for being abrupt, but the reason I came on here was to find out how to remove the polaris viewer icon from the bottom taskbar, which ended up there because I was trying to free up more space. Forget that it's the Polaris Viewer icon, I just want to know how to move any of the icons from the bottom taskbar

This is a little puzzling. The following suggestions are based on my looking at the Enlighten's manual, which can be found here.

I'm guessing your version of Android is Gingerbread (2.3.x), which you can tell by looking at Settings/About Phone, where it says Android Version. I'm not sure, but I think a lot of Gingerbread phones don't let you modify the icons in the bottom tray. What happens if you long-press the Polaris Viewer icon (i.e., touch and hold it for about a second)--does anything happen? Do you feel the phone vibrate a bit, and are you able to drag the icon? If so, then drag it to the garbage can.

If nothing happens, then tell me--what was in that bottom tray location before the Polaris Viewer icon got stuck there? Did Polaris Viewer somehow displace another icon? It's always possible the phone's Launcher software is a little buggy--I've seen this kind of thing before on my old Droid Incredible. Two things you could try:

1. Reboot the phone. That is, power it down completely by pressing and holding the power button until the shutoff menu appears, and select the option to turn the phone off. After it's off, then press the power button again until it turns on, and wait until it boots up fully. Has it corrected itself?

2. If #1 didn't work, then you could try clearing the data from your Launcher or Homescreen (the name can vary with the device), which is the system app that manages your homescreens. Keep in mind that clearing this data will make your homescreens blank again, and you'd have to set them up again the way you want it with whatever shortcuts and widgets you had arranged before. To clear the data, go to Settings/Apps/All Apps, scroll down until you find an app called either Launcher or Homescreen (although it could be something else that's similar-sounding), select it, and tap Clear Data. Then go back to your homescreen and see if the Quick Keys along the bottom tray have reverted back to normal.

llanita

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi. B.Diddy The polaris viewer is still functional, and it took over the spot where messenger used to be. When I press it I don't get the vibrations that I normally would with an app that can be removed, but it is functional. Since I couldn't get rid of it, I solved my problem by just re-adding the messenger icon on top of it. I appreciate your help and patience and politeness.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I don't believe you can just get rid of icons from the dock like that. I was going to suggest that you just replace it with another icon, but, you had already figured it out. Thanks for posting your solution though.

You can, however, change the amount of icons in the dock with a custom launcher. Or you can remove it entirely.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non