Why should I go ahead and go Android?

AJErvin12

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Greetings Android users,

I am currently and have been a BlackBerry (bold 9000) user for the past 4 years, but I am looking to make the switch to an Android device. I'm on AT&T and really like what I see with the Samsung Captivate. However, regardless of the device I have always been hesitant to make the switch due to missing features that my BB provides. My main reason for a BB was the push email. I currently have 5 accounts on my BB. Aside from that, I frequently use my device for Facebook, Twitter, Browsing the net, taking pics on the run, listening to music, and all the other basic stuff. What's your opinion on making the switch? Would I miss the features of my BB or do you think I'll be fine once I see what Android has to offer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Anthony

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you would miss much. Android is capable of everything you mention and more. As for push emails, I know the main Google account you sign into on the phone gives instant notification, but I don't have much experience with using multiple accounts with anything other than the stock email app, which does not seem to do push notifications. A different mail app might. Just something I haven't played around with, yet.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a 9630 Tour, which has never had a hardware problem, but I'm switching.

Reasons:
RIM software sucks. All the software updates they have sent have caused more problems than they fixed. So, I have dropped back to 4.7 that came on the phone.

BBs are just too darn slow to access the internet. Part due to RIM's software and lousy browser, but also due to low RAM that came on the phone.

RIM has nothing new or exciting coming out. The 9800 slider was interesting, but since I'm on Verizon, and will not switch, even if I had a choice where I lived, it is not an option for me.

The Storm is nice, but the screen is too small, and still suffers from RIM's software problems.

Storm 3 that is rumored, will be nothing more than a Storm 2 with more RAM and 6.0. Might speed it up a bit, but still a small screen.

Besides, when you type on a Storm, the damn phone feels like it is full of Mexican Jumping beans. The phone jumps, bugs the heck out of me.

If I'm going to surf the internet on a phone, I want it to be fast, and I want larger keys to hit when typing. Whether that is one a screen or a keyboard.

Push email means nothing for me on my personal device. (My Gov't issued device will remain a BB Tour, but I do not use it for anything but BBM and emails.)

Personally, I just believe that the Android system offers more than BB for most users. BB still offers security for corporate and government phones that is why RIM will remain for a while.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
My main reason for a BB was the push email. I currently have 5 accounts on my BB.
What types of email accounts are they? You can't make a non-push account push though BIS comes close.

Browsing the net
No contest comparing Android to the BB on this one.

I don't have much experience with using multiple accounts with anything other than the stock email app, which does not seem to do push notifications.
If the email account is push then the stock email app will support push.

Last edited:

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You will be amazed how much more you can do in Android than in BB OS. Goto a carrier store and play around with some devices to see what we are all talking about =]

RobertInCypress

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I went from a BB 9000 to the Captivate and haven't looked back.
The only thing I miss is an LED lite for notifications. The Captivate can handle push email from gmail. I have an old AOL account which is forwarded to my gmail account so maybe you can check into that.
Browsing the web isn't even a contest between the 2 fones. Android blows the 9000 away.
The music player is better, the are tons more apps for facebook & twitter... it's Android hands down.
The Bold was my 3rd berry, but I'm all Android now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress