Charging / charger question I've never seen before

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
(Also posted in my usual hangout, the HTC One forums)

Maybe it has been asked, but I've never seen it, and I spend a LOT of hours every week (way too many) on tech blogs and message boards. So forgive me if I've just missed it.

Most experts and tech enthusiasts agree that OEM chargers are typically better than "cheap, import knockoffs". I've seen studies as to the cleanness, stability, and performance of the electrical current provided by the chargers of respected OEM brands, like Apple, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc. What I HAVEN'T seen and don't know is this: does the micro USB cable have anything to do with this quality, or is it merely the charging block/transformer?

So as with HDMI cables, are all micro USB "cables" the same, meaning they either work (carry the charge) or don't? (One reason I ask is I may prefer to use a longer/different cable but with the OEM charger.)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Differences like wire gauge, material (copper vs aluminum or copper-clad aluminum), shielding, and connection at the end points could make a very big difference when dealing with current and voltage so low. Ideally, you want the correct amount of electrical resistance (which isn't zero like many people think) and as little energy lost as noise, heat, or magnetism between the transformer at the power supply and the PMIC inside the phone that's regulating the voltage. All circuits are this way. The reality is that it's a case where manufacturers balance what is perfect, what isn't but will still work, and cost.