Qi charging?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
In all of the information I've seen about this device, nowhere does it say HOW it charges. Just says it's a magnetic charger. Will I be able to use power share off my Pixel 7 to charge the watch if for some reason it doesn't charge properly overnight? My power bank doesn't have a USB-C port on it, or Qi charging for that matter, it would be nice to be able to charge my phone (I have an A-C cable that I use with the power bank) and then power-share to the watch if it needs a boost.

This is replacing my OG Huawei Watch that is starting to be a PAIN to charge as the pads on the back are corroding. I've had a couple days recently where the watch either never connected to charge or (more recently) WAS charging then rebooted and the vibration during the boot caused it to disconnect from the charger and I didn't realize it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I tried looking into this and was absolutely FLOORED that you can't charge your Pixel Watch from your Pixel Phone. I'm sure there must be a reason for using a proprietary system, but can't fathom what it would be...

PixelWatchWTF.png (source)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Proprietary charging systems seem to be pretty common across the smartwatch continuum.

That's just the way it is...

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Proprietary charging systems seem to be pretty common across the smartwatch continuum.

That's just the way it is...

True, I'd like to think it's because of the space limitations rather than the companies being terrible... but that's likely me being uncharacteristically forgiving lol.

No excuse for them not including it in the Pixel 7's reverse wireless charging though. That's just classic Google.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
True, I'd like to think it's because of the space limitations rather than the companies being terrible... but that's likely me being uncharacteristically forgiving lol.

No excuse for them not including it in the Pixel 7's reverse wireless charging though. That's just classic Google.
I don't disagree, but Apple has managed to include wireless charging, no?

Indeed, maybe Apple has a patent on it...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Samsung phones will reverse charge Samsung watches (proprietary system), but Google's going after Apple - and iPhones don't reverse charge Apple watches.

Yay Google...

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree, but Apple has managed to include wireless charging, no?

Indeed, maybe Apple has a patent on it...

I've got no idea how the iWatch charges, or if it's compatible with standard QI pads.

I can tell you that galaxy phones can charge galaxy watches, though.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung phones will reverse charge Samsung watches (proprietary system), but Google's going after Apple - and iPhones don't reverse charge Apple watches.

Yay Google...

Yeah, why do something well when you can copy a company you have no chance to compete with lol.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got no idea how the iWatch charges, or if it's compatible with standard QI pads.

I can tell you that galaxy phones can charge galaxy watches, though.

Even the new 8th gen Apple Watch only charges from its proprietary connector. It is not Qi-compatible, nor will it charge from reverse charging even from the latest iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Samsung watches will charge from Samsung phones with reverse charging capability, but not with standard Qi charging or non-Samsung phones with reverse charging.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a wireless charging 'standard' when there's a whole product category where everyone refuses to play nice (while still all insisting they're all about minimizing e-waste and wanting to save the environment by minimizing chargers needed).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's disappointing. I may need to upgrade at least one of my charging solutions to support a second USB-C port then, and maybe figure out my battery pack situation so I have a backup.

Can't the Pixel Buds Pro charge from the phone?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking it's because of the way the band bends down it would be hard to charge on anything flat. I'm having a hard time charging with the proprietary charger. I had to lay sideways.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts