I KNOW THIS WAS ASKED BEFORE BUT CAN YOU HELP Root S4 ? Should I ? and HOW

URBANDISCIPLE

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
HEY EVERYONE

Im always here and there with phones and finally found a phone I absolutely love, which hasnt happened since I had help rooting a GX2

If anyone remembers that pile of mess

ANYWAY

2 questions

1 Should I ? Ive rooted a phone before and when I did I loved the result I loved finding more roots to run and im the type where I like fast and NEW and I can only imagine that some of the stupid glitches I get are because of the Overlays Sasmung likes to throw on.
I do really like the hover feature and things in that nature though

so my 2 is how to do it , but FIRST
Is there any negatives in rooting.. can you not go back to the way your phone was ever again and what about UPDATES ..

Help Please and THANKS

:D

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I can post links to other forums, but this helped me TREMENDOUSLY when I first got my S4, and got into rooting (coming from an iPhone 5, I had previously owned Android devices, but they were old pieces of crap, back in Android 1.6 Cupcake days): http://www.galaxys4forums.net/forum...oting-rom-s-pros-cons-dictionary-rooting.html

(Mods feel free to remove my post, if I'm not allowed to link to I other forums)
Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AndroidCentral! You can find the AC GS4 Forums here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/. Take a look through the various subforums and find your S4 carrier/model and you'll find information on rooting there. If you have further questions feel free to ask in the appropriate forum or reply here and we'll do out best to provide a response.

Last edited:

bill hughes2

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe that you can unroot a phone (ie lock it again) using freely available software like oneclick for instance, and there are others whose names I can't remember at the moment. Basically all you're doing when rooting is giving yourself what PC users call administrator priviliges.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Before you root I suggest you read read read snd read some more so you know exactly what to do if a situation arises. It is very easy to root the s4 and you can always flash back to stock using odin just make sure you have the correct carrier file

sent from my galaxy s4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AndroidCentral! You can find the AC GS4 Forums here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/. Take a look through the various subforums and find your S4 carrier/model and you'll find information on rooting there. If you have further questions feel free to ask in the appropriate forum or reply here and we'll do out best to provide a response.

I fixed the link, should work now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

URBANDISCIPLE

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Ya

Hey thanks for all of your responses

So I did root the phone and DONE so thats awesome
Now im going through the process of installing my rom
I went to backup my phone through ROM and it used up a ton of my internal memory which really confuses me. And the I did it a couple more times thinking after I delete some THEN
It would just backup over the previous file.

NOT TRUE
I keep getting an error . Low Space AKA NO SPACE I literally dont have a MB to my name on this phone

Can someone please help with this

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The backup images are large files. Remember, you are backing up the entire ROM and in some cases can be well over 200mb (I'm not sure what the S4 uses, but I would think it's way larger than 200mb).

Go through your sd card with a file explorer and look for the clockwork mod folder. There should be a backup sub-folder with the backup images that can be deleted. I typically delete older files as I make new backups to keep the sd card clear of any clutter and unecessary files.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The backup images are large files. Remember, you are backing up the entire ROM and in some cases can be well over 200mb (I'm not sure what the S4 uses, but I would think it's way larger than 200mb).

Go through your sd card with a file explorer and look for the clockwork mod folder. There should be a backup sub-folder with the backup images that can be deleted. I typically delete older files as I make new backups to keep the sd card clear of any clutter and unecessary files.

With data and everything, I've had backups exceed 1.5GB.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1