Updating to Android 4.2.2

Zahate

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've had my android phone for well over a year and a half now, and I am finally brave enough to enter the world of 'rooting.' I have a Droid 3 XT862, and it is stuck on a very old version of android as it was one of few phones to not receive the upgrade to gingerbread/jelly bean. I've found a way to update to Android 4.2.2, the instructions are very clear, but I am unaware of the risks/any precautions I should take before doing it, and if it'll work. Here is the link to the information I found. My question is, what should I do to back up my phone/how do I backup my phone, and are these instructions good to go?

Link: Update Motorola Droid 3 XT862 To Android 4.2.2 Using AOKP Build 4 Custom ROM

Also!, will updating remove all my contacts/music/ect..?

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You will probably lose your photos and music, which is why when you root your phone you should do a backup, like a Nandroid back up or Titanium Backup, Nandroid is better. You should also save all your files that you need to your computer or on an online storage account before rooting. Then after you've flashed your ROM you can get those files back. As for your contacts they shouldn't be deleted if you have a Google account and it is backing up your essential stuff, basically all the Google stuff. You can check if you have this backup enabled by going to settings, then backup and restore, then make sure you have "backup my data" (Back up app data, wifi passwords, and other settings to Google servers) this will include your contacts. Then there is an option for "Automatic restore" (When re-installing an app, restore backed up settings and data". There is also an option that says "backup account" make sure your GMAIL account is displayed, if not, add one and then wait a couple hours for the data to be backed up before rooting/flashing. If you want to be 100% sure you won't lose your contacts go to Google and type in "Google Contacts", sign into your Google account and see which contacts are displayed, if they're there then your backup has worked, if not then you might have to manually add all your contacts to Google Contacts and they will show up on your phone when you sign into it using that Google account.

fn9s3o.png

Good luck! Rooting is amazing! Don't be afraid!

Zahate

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Everything was going really well, except one of the files failed to work for some reason, yet I had already changed the Google App files for the phone. (The zip files for Android 4.2.2). So now I have the Google App files for 4.2.2, but they aren't compatible with my android on 2.3.4, so I keep getting a ton of keyboard error messages,+ I can't access google play so I can't redownload ROM Manager or Titanium Backup. I tried doing a factory reset and I'm still getting the same issues. My phone is still usable its just really annoying, how can I go about fixing this?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You need the appropriate GAPPS file - Google Apps - RootzWiki

Scroll down and on the right side you'll see the table with Android OS' and corresponding GAPPs files. You will need to get the file onto the device and get back into recovery where you'll need to factory reset, wipe cache and re-install the ROM then appropriate GAPPSs.

Zahate

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I ended up finding an unbricking method for my phone which reverted it to stock, then I just re-added everything. It's tedious but a gurantee work everytime! Thank you though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty