SD Card problems - worth saving?

iMantisNZ

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Heya guys, this is my first post so, go easy :)

I've hunted through the vast pages of knowledge that come up from Google.com for the past 2 hours on this, and searched this forum but to no avail - I can't find anyone else that's had a problem like this! :c

So, this is the story.

I cabled my Samsung Galaxy Ace to my computer, and copied over 3 music files - something I've done countless times. However, this time when I removed the device, the microSD Card became corrupt. After an hour or so of searching, I found a solution and fixed the card without having to format etc. However, when I tried re-adding the files (As they didn't save) after the fix, I would disconnect my phone from the computer, and find that the files hadn't actually saved onto the microSD Card. Confused, I re-connected my phone and tried it again, and double-checked that the files had copied. After disconnecting my phone, I'd found out that the files still didn't appear on my directory. I reconnected my phone, backed up all the contents of my microSD Card, and began to format the microSD while it was in the phone via Windows, as trying to delete files on the phone resulted in them reappearing after the phone did a media scan on the card. I didn't do a quick format (As I tried one 5 minutes before and the entire microSD Card contents reappeared even though the SD Card had 0% of the space used according to the computer. About three-quarters of the way through formatting, I got an error saying "Windows cannot complete the format". Now, my phone says the SD Card is blank or has an unsupported file-system. I've taken it out of my phone and found a microSD-to-SD card adapter. But my laptop won't read it.

So my question is, have I ruined my SD Card? Is there anyway to save it? I'd prefer to go to the lengths to fix it myself, however I'm not willing to pay to get it fixed. And if there is a way to save it, how? It can't be read by my Samsung, my old Nokia, or my laptop. My information is backed-up so if push comes to shove I will purchase a new one. But like I said, if there is a way to fix it, I'd like to know.

Thanks! :D

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What did you format the SD card to? NTFS doesn't work with any phones I've had. Fat 32 seems to work well. If you have it formatted with a filesystem Android doesn't like, it'll give you that error. Still, seeing as you had problems before, I'd say there's a strong chance your SD card has kicked the bucket.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Heya guys, this is my first post so, go easy :)

I've hunted through the vast pages of knowledge that come up from Google.com for the past 2 hours on this, and searched this forum but to no avail - I can't find anyone else that's had a problem like this! :c

So, this is the story.

I cabled my Samsung Galaxy Ace to my computer, and copied over 3 music files - something I've done countless times. However, this time when I removed the device, the microSD Card became corrupt. After an hour or so of searching, I found a solution and fixed the card without having to format etc. However, when I tried re-adding the files (As they didn't save) after the fix, I would disconnect my phone from the computer, and find that the files hadn't actually saved onto the microSD Card. Confused, I re-connected my phone and tried it again, and double-checked that the files had copied. After disconnecting my phone, I'd found out that the files still didn't appear on my directory. I reconnected my phone, backed up all the contents of my microSD Card, and began to format the microSD while it was in the phone via Windows, as trying to delete files on the phone resulted in them reappearing after the phone did a media scan on the card. I didn't do a quick format (As I tried one 5 minutes before and the entire microSD Card contents reappeared even though the SD Card had 0% of the space used according to the computer. About three-quarters of the way through formatting, I got an error saying "Windows cannot complete the format". Now, my phone says the SD Card is blank or has an unsupported file-system. I've taken it out of my phone and found a microSD-to-SD card adapter. But my laptop won't read it.

So my question is, have I ruined my SD Card? Is there anyway to save it? I'd prefer to go to the lengths to fix it myself, however I'm not willing to pay to get it fixed. And if there is a way to save it, how? It can't be read by my Samsung, my old Nokia, or my laptop. My information is backed-up so if push comes to shove I will purchase a new one. But like I said, if there is a way to fix it, I'd like to know.

Thanks! :D

How old is the card? They do have a lifespan of about 2 years, and after which, they do go bad, and sometimes at a moment's notice. I would go and get a new one, since your files are backed up (good for you). Most major retailers like WalMart and Target have quality cards that are inexpensive.

iMantisNZ

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What did you format the SD card to? NTFS doesn't work with any phones I've had. Fat 32 seems to work well. If you have it formatted with a filesystem Android doesn't like, it'll give you that error. Still, seeing as you had problems before, I'd say there's a strong chance your SD card has kicked the bucket.

I tried formatting to FAT32 and with the default settings - it cancelled halfway through the formatting saying Windows couldn't complete it. I couldn't restart the formatting afterwards.

How old is the card? They do have a lifespan of about 2 years, and after which, they do go bad, and sometimes at a moment's notice. I would go and get a new one, since your files are backed up (good for you). Most major retailers like WalMart and Target have quality cards that are inexpensive.

The card is fairly old, I bought it off of a friend in early 2011, who used it in a microSD-to-Sony Magicstick adapter. I don't know how long he had it, but it's definitely older than 2 years, hahah! Looks like I will be buying a new one - it's a shame that it can't be saved. I got a good run out of it though. Thanks again, guys! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That was a good run for a card. Keep up the habit of backing up the card on a regular basis(monthly should suffice). If this happens again, you won't be out anything.