No SIM card import/export option, just SD card. Why not both?

aj_chicago

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Can someone tell me why I have the option to import/export contacts to/from SD card, but not the SIM card? I see screen images of Samsung Galaxy S3's showing both options and read discussions on selecting "export to SIM", but don't have that option listed, even though I have the ATT SIM installed and I have half of my contacts on the SIM card and they display that way in the contacts list (with a little SIM card icon). I would like to have them all on the SIM so that when I change phones the SIM carries all my contacts to the new phone. I don't want to use GMAIL as other posts have suggested as I want the security that my contacts are on my SIM only, and not "in the cloud". Next question is.... can I force a new contact to be saved to the SIM by default? Thanks.

nemo183

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Can someone tell me why I have the option to import/export contacts to/from SD card, but not the SIM card? I see screen images of Samsung Galaxy S3's showing both options and read discussions on selecting "export to SIM", but don't have that option listed, even though I have the ATT SIM installed and I have half of my contacts on the SIM card and they display that way in the contacts list (with a little SIM card icon). I would like to have them all on the SIM so that when I change phones the SIM carries all my contacts to the new phone. I don't want to use GMAIL as other posts have suggested as I want the security that my contacts are on my SIM only, and not "in the cloud". Next question is.... can I force a new contact to be saved to the SIM by default? Thanks.

aj_chicago

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess there's not as much "smarts" here as I thought. Thought this would be easy and surely be answered and I see others have the same question.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I guess there's not as much "smarts" here as I thought. Thought this would be easy and surely be answered and I see others have the same question.

The easy answer is, phone companies are abandoning saving contacts to sim cards because sim cards hardly have enough memory for the types of contacts that are handled nowadays in a lot of services (contacts with pictures, emails, multiple numbers, notes, and other details which storing to sim cards can't handle). Use the SD card in lieu of the SIM card when transferring from one phone to another if you don't want the contacts on the cloud.