How to get a software update on HTC DNA using non-Verizon carrier

ferrarl

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a HTC DNA using consumer cellulars network. I'm trying to figure out how to update to 4.2 and Sense 5 but I have hard time doing this since the phone can't find any updates.
The phone searches for updates only when in CDMA mode but I get no reception when on that mode. I'm guessing it tries to update though verizon's own servers which is causing this issue.

If someone could explain what the actual issue here is and how to solve the problem I'd really appreciate it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the update needs to be pushed by the carrier. Just sit tight and wait for an update, as it should be due out soon if the device is the same as Verizon's model.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

ferrarl

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It is actually verizon's phone. My roommate has verizon so would it be possible for him to put his SIM in my DNA to update and then just put it back to his s3?

When you pay $120 for HTC dna with a crack on bottom corner that doesn't impact the screen at all, you really can't complain. So getting the update isn't really that important to me, but if its possible with my friends SIM without having any risks, why not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can use your friend's SIM in your phone without any risks, but that won't get you an update. (Since the phone number is based on the ESN, not the SIM, it won't even change your phone number.)

ferrarl

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
So the only way of getting the update is by calling Verizon, telling them the ESN of my phone and asking them to change it. Then getting the update with my friends plan, and finally calling Verizon to tell them to change the ESN of file to my friends phone?

My HTC DNA is unlocked, his S3 isn't. I don't think this should cause any issues but I'm not familiar with verizon so just making sure.