Widget not in tune

jamak

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
2 wks with Samsung; I installed clock/weather widget and noticed today temp stayed at 41F and didn't change the whole day even though it was in the mid 70's. I returned from a meeting at 3pm and noticed the little circle turning it suddenly changed at 74F. I don't really mind it but wonder how it works; does it work off the phone or on it's own. Why didn't it change temps after 8 hours of being on? Just curious how widgets work and if they dance to their own tune?

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
2 wks with Samsung; I installed clock/weather widget and noticed today temp stayed at 41F and didn't change the whole day even though it was in the mid 70's. I returned from a meeting at 3pm and noticed the little circle turning it suddenly changed at 74F. I don't really mind it but wonder how it works; does it work off the phone or on it's own. Why didn't it change temps after 8 hours of being on? Just curious how widgets work and if they dance to their own tune?
Probably your widget is set to auto-sync every once in a while. If you want it to sync immediately, press the little arrow on the widget and it will sync.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which weather widget did you install? Was it a 3rd party one? Some widgets allow you to adjust the sync interval--if the widget has a menu icon (usually the 3 vertical dots), tap it and see if you find any options. You can also see if the widget shows up in your All Apps list--that's often a way to adjust its settings.

jamak

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the widget (green grass/blue sky) when it appeared on widget list, assumed it was there already? It doesn't seem to have any arrow nor dots, if I tap it it goes to full week of weather. When I tap back it shows temperature at 7.13am and it's now 11.32am and temp is still 42F when it's 52F. Yesterday it was 43F until around 3pm then I saw the little spinning arrows (sync?) turned to 71F.

Can't see any menu icon, had phone for 2 weeks only. Not sure where "all apps" is.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so it sounds like it's the stock Samsung Weather widget that came preinstalled. When you tap the widget and get the full week of weather, are you able to press the Menu button and get any additional options? If so, look for a sync interval option there.

During the day, do you usually have 3G/4G mobile data on, or are you relying on wi-fi? How is the signal for either wherever you are? If the data signal is poor, that might cause problems with automatic syncing.

When I say "All Apps," I'm referring to the App Drawer, or I think what's referred to as the App Manager in Samsung devices. It's what comes up when you press that icon with the grid of dots on the homescreen.

jamak

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't find any menu button but I discovered this after a few hours; it seems that the temperature does change possibly every hour. I pressed the tiny circling arrow once and noticed the temperature changed, I tried it a few more times later and it seems to change temps around an hour or so, I'm not sure of it's exact schedule, it's not on the hour as I tried that but maybe sometimes there is no temp change. Anyways, it's not continuous but seems to work on a manual type operation wherein it's up to me to change it? I can deal with this, I guess. I'm still new on smartphones but realized early that it's just another computer and I have five.

Thanks for all of you for taking time to help me... Have a good new year.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you really want a weather widget that works better, I suggest trying out the many weather apps that are available on Google Play. I'm sure you'll find one with better sync ability, as well as more features!

jamak

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'm still a newbie on smartphones, got 2 macs and 2 pc's and this is sort of similar... I haven't gone to Google Play yet, I have google on youtube and other things and am reluctant to use it for this as I find google has changed my passwords now and then... I might join as another name just to not confuse my other googles.

Thanks, have a great new year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty