Possibly Switching from Verizon to T-Mobile

wodehousefan1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I live in San Diego and the coverage is about the same for both carriers. If we stick with Verizon we'll get either Moto Xs or LG G2s. If we switch to T-Mobile we'll get Nexus 5s. The cost is about the same, though with T-Mobile that includes being in the JUMP program for both phones. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for either carrier? One note, we're still grandfathered in with unlimited data at Verizon and I'm not sure there's a way to keep it, if we switch to 4G. Does anyone know if we could keep it by buying our phones outright?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On Verizon, you can keep unlimited data as long as you buy the phone at full retail price. If you buy it at the subsidized price, you'll need to change to Share Everything.

Can't remember if I responded to you in another thread, but I just switched from VZW to T-Mobile (Nexus 5) in the Silicon Valley, and am very pleased so far. Main reception problems are in underground garages and the like. I actually get better reception now in certain chronic problem areas for Verizon. Customer service at T-Mobile also good so far, but hard to evaluate that fully yet.

Posted via Android Central App

wodehousefan1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. That's helpful to know. Yes, that may have been me on another thread. Since we've decided to switch from iPhones, I thought I should jump into the Android community.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I live in San Diego and the coverage is about the same for both carriers. If we stick with Verizon we'll get either Moto Xs or LG G2s. If we switch to T-Mobile we'll get Nexus 5s. The cost is about the same, though with T-Mobile that includes being in the JUMP program for both phones. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for either carrier? One note, we're still grandfathered in with unlimited data at Verizon and I'm not sure there's a way to keep it, if we switch to 4G. Does anyone know if we could keep it by buying our phones outright?

Thanks

Only con I see with T-Mobile so far is that the coverage indoors isn't good. Pros would be no contract and being able to upgrade whenever you want without losing unlimited

wodehousefan1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I'm leaning towards T-Mobile because of the contract thing. Also, the last time I was in a Verizon store I didn't like their hard selling. T-Mobile does it too, but the store near us didn't seem to be quite as pushy.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That is true. I'll take a look at it, but I'm not sure our cash flow will let us buy two phones out right.

Then maybe going with T-Mo and getting a payment plan on the phones would be best. That way you don't lose unlimited like you would with VZW if you signed a contract

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5. Battery shorts out. Throw the phone as far as you can, because it's going to melt aluminum. Including the phone.

Phone gets wet. Throw it out. By the time you break the back of the case off and cut a battery wire, it's probably too late to save the phone.

My phones come with removable batteries and external SD cards.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
:eek: Wow, are there any warning signs to watch out for with the battery shorting out? Thanks. :-/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5. Battery shorts out. Throw the phone as far as you can, because it's going to melt aluminum. Including the phone.

Phone gets wet. Throw it out. By the time you break the back of the case off and cut a battery wire, it's probably too late to save the phone.

Any source on this? This is the kind of thing that one would expect to be plastered all over tech news sites and blogs if it were occurring with any significant frequency, but the fact that it isn't makes me think that they're isolated incidents only.