Factory unlocked vs Carrier phones

Drummer_JB

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Quick background for my inquiry:
I have been waiting a long long time for the HTC one max to come out. I want and need a loud phone for my deaf arse, and also a giant screen for web browsing and media consumption on WiFi at home.
The one max FINALLY comes out on Verizon and Sprint. FML I'm AT&T. It's been 2 months since t's been released on 2 other carriers and still not one peep from AT&T on when or if the one max is even coming to AT&T, since they have the regular and mini...
So I've been researching my options (and not very familiar with this all as it is the first time a phone I want hasn't come to AT&T) only to find that if I buy a factory unlocked version, it doesn't come with the right bands for AT&T's 4G LTE in the USA. Really?! So thse are my options? Buy an awesome unlocked version with no carrier bloat but only be able to use 3G/HSPA+ permanently, or buy some other phone I don't want from AT&T so I have LTE?? Or just hopelessly wait for AT&T to maybe never get the phone?
That is my first question.
My second question is WHY the hell do they make factory unlocked phones to be able to use on all GSM carriers, but not have the right LTE bands in the US?! Is it that much more work to add a few more so they can? And why do they make the same phone for a carrier with them? Sounds to me like the phone companies and the carriers are in bed together to f**k us over and get us to buy a carrier phone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
On your first question..

Yeah your at the mercy of playing the waiting game to see if AT&T gets the HTC One Max. Otherwise you have already explored your options there....

Second question...

LTE bands especially in the US are a touchy subject. When your talking about Sprint/Verizon being CDMA carriers verses AT&T/T-Mo being GSM based there comes a whole new set of problems. I probably don't have the " politically correct " answer for these but I'm guessing end of the day it comes down to licenses held on each carriers LTE bandwidths.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Standards are wonderful things - everyone is on the same page.

The problem is that we have no standards.

One other option - and it's going to hurt in the wallet like a kick somewhere else in that region - but some BT hearing aids are unbelievable. They work like a regular BT headset, but the sound is just what you need, tailored to your hearing loss. And they'll work with any phone, from a cheap W385 (we used to give those away free with a 1 year contract) to a Note 3.

The other alternative is turn the volume up ALL THE WAY and hope it's enough. (My problem is that half of my understanding comes from reading lips [never though I'd be able to learn that, but I guess I did] and I can't see the lips on the other end of the phone call.)

Drummer_JB

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for responses!
Well, I don't think I'm to the point of using a hearing aid with a phone yet, but I do sleep right through my alarm on my HTC one x, and can barely hear YouTub videos on it at full volume at home.

Do you think the note 3 is as loud as the One series? Obviously the stereo will sound better, but as far a loudness goes?
I can't stand the look of touchwiz - so boring and cartoony. Sense looks great. But, I can get used to it if I must I suppose... I just really wanted those boomsound speakers.

Also, if I buy the unlocked version, am I really going to notice the difference being stuck on HSPA+ vs LTE? I mean hell, it's only for another year and a half until I get another upgrade and hopefully a new phone will be out on AT&T that matches my needs. Will I regret buying a factory unlocked phone (speed-wise)?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87