Moto X unlocked GSM on Straight Talk

Drjbb

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi - I just ordered a Moto X GSM unlocked (AT&T and T-Mobile 4G LTE with Global HSPA) during the $329 sale, should get it this week.
I'd appreciate getting the latest advice on how to get it to work on the $45 Straight Talk plan:
*Which SIM card should I get?
*How do I trim it to nano?
*Any other set-up tips?
*Or is a $60 AT&T GoPhone no-contract plan worth the cost because it's simpler to set up?

I am no techie, so thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For StraightTalk sim, you should just take the default option, or the AT&T option for best coverage. You may need to setup the Straight Talk APN on the phone when you inserted the sim: HOW TO UPDATE DATA SETTINGS

To cut the sim, you should just order a cheap nano sim cutter from Amazon or eBay. To do it manually, the unlocked Moto X come with T-Mobile nano sim, you can lay it ontop of the regular sim and use a fine marker to outline it. Cut it with a sturdy and sharp scissor (or something else if you're comfortable), then file it down with a nail filer until it fit on the sim tray of the phone. You have to be careful not to file it too much that it fall through.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You decide on which carrier to use by which one gives you better coverage where you need coverage. If they both give you good coverage at work, but TMobile is weak at home and AT&T is strong at home, it would be silly to choose TMobile.

You WILL (not might) need to set up the APN. Neither the AT&T nor TMobile APNs will be correct - the correct data will come with the SIM card.

Is $60/month for 2GB of data better than $45/month for 2.5GB of data? Over a 2 year period that's $360 difference even if the difference in data doesn't matter to you. (And if you shop wisely, you can get ST for as little as about $36/month.)

(If you cut the card manually, be VERY careful - measure again if you're not absolutely certain where the contacts are. You're only doing it once, so spending an extra 10 minutes to be sure isn't a big deal.)