Internet only works sporadically on Wifi and mobile data despite good connection- Galaxy S3

anitje

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Phone: Galaxy S3 i747 unlocked
Software: Android 4.3
Carrier: Airvoice Wireless with 500 Mb data/month. I have not used more than a quarter of that.

Despite my phone and speed test showing good connectivity by Wifi and mobile data, I can only connect to the internet sporadically. Usually I can do a google search but when I try to click on a link from the search I get a "Webpage not available" message. Same if I try to download a podcast, use the play store, etc.

The problem is intermittent but has become much more frequent....now it is usually present.

I have Mobile Data turned on. I don't think the issue is with the carrier, or with my APN settings, since I have the same problems using Wifi.

Speed test results:

Wifi: 6.10 Mbps download, 0.97 Mbps upload.
Mobile data: 6.30 Mbps down, 1.10 up.

I tried hitting the "clear cache" button in the app manager for internet and for Google Search. It didn't help.

Can you help me identify and fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

(My apologies if this posted more than once. I tried posting it previously but cannot find it).

anitje

Last edited:

anitje

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help, B. Diddy.
Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem,.

I wiped the cache partition three times as directed. The internet connectivity issue persists.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what else to suggest besides a factory reset, or bringing the phone to a repair shop. Good luck!

JonathanTa

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you noticed if this problem occurs when holding the handset in a particular way.
E.g. If you are using the handset in landscape mode and holding it in your hand does it drop the connection? Does it maintain/regain the connection if in portrait mode? If you place the handset on a table (not holding it in your hand) does it drop the connection?

It is a bit like grasping at straws but I have connectivity problems with a HTC one mini 2 (see my post in the HTC one mini 2 forum) and the above really makes a difference which suggests an issue with the handset.