Urgent phone help! Don't know what to do. Might be dying in my hands.

snowdog09

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my Nexus 5 on tile. It is running Kit Kat never been rooted. I picked it up and tried to unlock it and wake the device. It did nothing. I plugged it in to the charger and it showed the black and white charging symbol. I then pressed the power button and it turned on. It is now on and the power button and volume buttons don't work. I unplugged it and now the charging symbol went away. I plugged it back in and won't come back. The notification bar says charging 51% even when unplugged. RIght now it is plugged into a wall charger and I have WiFi on while I back up stuff. I plugged it into my copmuter and it shows nothing. Please Help!!!!! I don't know if it is dying in my hands or if it is actually charging or what. I put it on the wireless charger and it does the same thing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It is possible the device was damaged internally when it fell. Do you have any local repair shops that can look at it?

Sent from an AOSP M8

snowdog09

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It is possible the device was damaged internally when it fell. Do you have any local repair shops that can look at it?

Sent from an AOSP M8

Yes. I just did a hard reset by holding down both volume and power and it restarted. Buttons still don't work though. It is showing it's charging and it's going up though.

snowdog09

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just booted it into safe mode and the buttons still don't work it charges now too. So not that urgent anymore. But if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Something inside the phone broke. Considering all the problems, it's probably the motherboard, at least. It has to go to a repair shop, at least for an estimate. (The repair price may well be around the price of a new one.)

snowdog09

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Something inside the phone broke. Considering all the problems, it's probably the motherboard, at least. It has to go to a repair shop, at least for an estimate. (The repair price may well be around the price of a new one.)
That's what I thought, but now I'm not sure. I did a factory reset and the buttons still don't work but everything else is normal. But it I hold down the power button it will turn off. And if I run the boot loader the volume keys will function like normal. This makes me think it's a software problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a Nexus 5. Go to a Nexus 5 forum - here or on XDA - and ask where you can find a stock ROM and what program you use to flash it. I'm sure there are plenty of people with Nexus 5s who have done it many times.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member