Upgrading SD cards when I have moved some apps onto them

dburr

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
HTC Evo 4G, Android 2.2, build 3.29.651.5 (completely stock, not rooted, etc.) though I think this is a fairly generic question which is why I'm posting here rather than the Evo forum.

I'm about to move from the stock 8GB MicroSD card that came with my Evo to a 32GB. The way I usually do this is turn the phone off, pop the card out, copy its contents to my computer using a card reader, and copying them back onto the new card. However I have some apps moved to the SD card. Do I need to move all those apps back to my phone's memory before performing my upgrade procedure, or will copying the card's contents also (properly) copy all of my apps that were moved onto the SD card? Thanks!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
From my understanding you will have to copy the apps back over to your internal memory before making the switch. There is some sort of security feature built into Android so people don't just go around copying apps to other people's SD cards.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think there's still a portion of the app still on the internal memory. I simply copied and pasted when I changed my SD card, and I don't remember having a problem. Best thing is to just try it, but don't get rid of your old card until you're sure.