How can I stop Mediaserver draining my battery?

R0dG

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
This has been a problem since I updated my Android from Kitkat to Lollipop. I have a 2013 Nexus 7, not rooted. I do not have any media stored on it, I do not use Facebook or Twitter. I have tried switching WiFi off and disabling location service. I am still only getting around 1 hour of screen time before a charge is needed, previously it was 4 - 6 hours of similar use. 'Running' apps / services are Google Play Services and Google Play Store. I have tried stopping these, some of them stop but some keep restarting themselves

I have tried searching these forums for other people with similar problems, but not found any

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my HTC One M7 phone, and did a lot of research on this topic. I've found that sometimes when I play a mp3 file on my phone (either a music file, podcast, or ringtone) Mediaserver goes wild and drains my battery super fast. I wasn't able to track it down, but I've since rooted my phone and installed the app called "Greenify" which has increased my battery life tremendously. I normally am hesitant to rooting my devices, but the Greenify app made it worth it.

So, if you're rooted I suggest you try Greenify. Otherwise, try the usual (factory reset, cache wipe, etc) and don't install any mp3 or mp4 files and see how your Nexus 7 runs for a while. Good luck!

R0dG

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried the cache wipe, and so far no sign of Mediaserver. Fingers crossed...

R0dG

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately Mediaserver has returned to eat up my battery life again
Is there any way of saving data from apps / games before doing a factory rest please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa