Galaxy Note 3 (Rooted) Help taking update?

Brandon Weibley

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
As the title says I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It is rooted using Kingo ROOT and I also installed Xposed Framework so I could enable a second user account on my phone. Yesterday I got a notification that there is an update for my phone, when I tried to take it, it said that the update failed. I am assuming that this is because of the Root, or the Xposed and extra user account? What do I need to do to take this update? I did a little searching but could not figure out how to uninstall the Xposed frame work and extra user account, I believe I can just hook my phone up to my computer and run the kingo app to unroot again, but I didnt want to do so if I needed to uninstall Xposed first because I didnt want to mess my phone up. Thanks for the help guys!

kjell kjell

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
you have probaly flashed a costum kernel. if you have a costum kernel you can not install any ota updates from a manufracture.
you have to flash the stock kernel of the galaxy note 4 before you can install the update.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As the title says I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It is rooted using Kingo ROOT and I also installed Xposed Framework so I could enable a second user account on my phone. Yesterday I got a notification that there is an update for my phone, when I tried to take it, it said that the update failed. I am assuming that this is because of the Root
You assume correctly. The update process does two things - it checks to make sure that the ROM is the stock one and it checks that the phone has never been rooted. If either one fails, updating stops and you get the "update failed" notice. (It didn't fail, Google, it stopped - there's a difference between crashing and abending.)

What do I need to do to take this update?
Flash the stock ROM.

I did a little searching but could not figure out how to uninstall the Xposed frame work and extra user account, I believe I can just hook my phone up to my computer and run the kingo app to unroot again, but I didnt want to do so if I needed to uninstall Xposed first because I didnt want to mess my phone up. Thanks for the help guys!
It still wouldn't work. The su file would be removed (that's what gives you root), but the "check for rooting" part of the update process would still find that the phone had been rooted at some point, so it wouldn't continue. (You can do some things when rooted, even without adding any other apps, that will brick the phone if you run the update.)

Your only option at this point is to flash the stock ROM, update, root (make sure there's a root method for the version you're updating to for your phone - and if it's AT&T or Verizon, one that doesn't trip Knox), install Xposed and set up the two user accounts.

If you're at 4.3, you won't gain much by updating to 4.4.2. If you're at 4.4.2, you won't gain anything noticeable if you update to 4.4.4. If you're at 4.4.4, all you'll gain by updating to 5 is bugs and headaches - 5.0.2 is still bug-ridden. Maybe by 5.2 they'll get most of the bugs out. (5 was released at least 6 months too early in the alpha testing phase - it shouldn't be released until the beta testing phase is complete, but the marketing department sets a release date, and that's when it gets released, working or not. Companies that keep doing that are known as "that company named X that no longer exists". With all their money, if they keep letting marketing dictate what goes into Android, and when the new version will be released, Microsoft will be competing with Apple for market share, and Android phones will be a thing of the past. Developers will put up with some bugs, the man in the street will not put up with buggy update after buggy update.)

@kjell, the entire ROM, not just the kernel, has to be flashed, and you can't flash a Note 4 ROM to a Note 3. Even if the phone is running the stock kernel, if the current ROM has ever been rooted it won't (better not) be updated with a stock update.

Brandon Weibley

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I just when in to Settings > About Phone and it says im at Android Version 4.4.2. No idea what the update version is though because it doesnt tell me, it just says there is an update available.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T recently released 4.4.4. (My wife took it, I didn't, but I don't notice any change with her phone.) I don't know if anyone has released a 5.x version yet, but I wouldn't touch that with your ten foot pole. (I told my wife that if she took it when it was available, I don't want to hear about how bad the phone is. I will, though, haunt the AT&T DSC if 5 causes problems until they either fix the problems [as likely as an elephant laying fish eggs] or replace the phone with one running 4.4.2 or 4.4.4.) If I had ever written anything as bad as Lollipop, I think it would have ended my programming career.