Help me find the right android for my wife

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok my wife wants an Android. She likes what I am able to do with my Captivate and would like to do so herself but she/I have quite a feature demand set.

It must have physical Qwerty kb.(She)
It must be smaller than my Captivate.(She)
It must have android 2.2 or greater
It must have at least 2 gig flash avail and prefer microsdhc slot
It must be as fast or faster than the Captivate
And would prefer if its not an LG if possible.

It seems this phone doesnt exist, I cant find any 1ghz smaller than my Captivate with 2.2 and a keyboard let alone meeting all the other features. Does anyone have a suggestion?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok my wife wants an Android. She likes what I am able to do with my Captivate and would like to do so herself but she/I have quite a feature demand set.

It must have physical Qwerty kb.(She)
It must be smaller than my Captivate.(She)
It must have android 2.2 or greater
It must have at least 2 gig flash avail and prefer microsdhc slot
It must be as fast or faster than the Captivate
And would prefer if its not an LG if possible.

It seems this phone doesnt exist, I cant find any 1ghz smaller than my Captivate with 2.2 and a keyboard let alone meeting all the other features. Does anyone have a suggestion?

First we need to know what carriers she wants or needs to use?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My assumption is that you are on AT&T since you have the captivate, and if you're sort of in a position where you have to stay with them, unfortunately you don't have much to choose from right from the get-go.

Is staying with AT&T or having her on AT&T a priority? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I've known people in the past who were married but on two different carriers.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
What your asking for is a list. Especially if your on AT&T and im also assuming this cause you said you have a captivate. The only smaller phone with android would be the Aria but i dont think its as fast or as good as the Captivate. If leaving carriers is an option or if you wife isnt on AT&T and carrier change is an option the new Evo Shift is coming out on sprint next month.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Carrier is irrelevant, Verizion seems to get the best reception in our home based on informal polling of friends with them. My wife's contract is up Jan 26th. I have no carrier loyalty and am willing to switch her to a new one and I will move there eventually (sick of AT&T and waiting for upgrades). So far the closest phone we have found to what she wants is the G2.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The closest thing that I can think of, that's not a Moto Droid on VZW, would be the Incredible, but it does not have the physical keyboard. You may want to spend some time with it even though it does not have the keyboard. I had a keyboard on my must have list until I used the Incredible for about an hour.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
If her contracts not up till 26 Jan, then there will be a lot of new devices that will be coming out after CES. There might be something else that comes out that would be better for her. The HTC Merge comes to mind for that...wlell just have to see.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
How about the Droid Pro? I'm 99% sure it would be smaller then the Captivate.

Its 3.5mmx1mm smaller in width and height but 1.7mm thicker so all in all its a bit smaller but not by much. its a candidate, but I think the G2 is still the forerunner, it just seems to be a empty part of the market.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Wait till the Evo shift comes out on sprint. But the G2 isnt a bad choice is actually one of the better android phones out there while almost vanilla android stock on it. I think it will be smoother than your captivate but the screen on the galaxy s phones at least to me are better than almost any screen out there at the moment. Wait till two weeks from now CES is around the corner. New phones coming out and i think the shift might work for her.

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
What about an Epic? It doesnt necessarily meet all your requirements but it still is pretty good and has some extras like a front-facing camera.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What about an Epic? It doesnt necessarily meet all your requirements but it still is pretty good and has some extras like a front-facing camera.

The only downside to the epic really is size, being related to the captivate its the same size or larger. Thats the only negative for it, well the price is a bit rough too, yes front facing camera is nice but paying $250 for it plus a $10 premium phone plan premium per month that might be a tough swallow, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
First thing I would think of would be the HTC 'Vision' series. The Vision series means the HTC Desire Z, T-Mobile G2, the soon to be released Verizon Merge, & soon to be released HTC Shift Evo for Sprint.

Rumor goes, that AT&T may have its version of the Vision, as the HTC Paradise. There is a possible picture of it but its specs are not confirmed. We may know more in CES.

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
This.......

The closest thing that I can think of, that's not a Moto Droid on VZW, would be the Incredible, but it does not have the physical keyboard. You may want to spend some time with it even though it does not have the keyboard. I had a keyboard on my must have list until I used the Incredible for about an hour.

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone, after much deliberation she decided to compromise on the keyboard and went with an unlocked Nexus S. She is wayyy jazzed.