Can I change the number of wifi networks shown in the list or search for more networks then you see?

A

AC Question

To many WiFi-networks for my phone to hanle.

Can I change the number wifinetwork shown in the list or search for more network than you see?

I have a Sony Experia Ultra.
I was at a store and looked at a "Sony Alpha ILCE-QX1-lens camera"
But I could not connect to the camera as there were too many networks to choose from
from various routers, TV sets, and more.

I tried "one touch connection via NFC" but it did not work either when nfc only is a way to easily
connect to wifi but it did not find the network from the camera.

I tried Wi-Fi Direct but nothing.

Pleace help.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: To many WiFi-networks for my phone to hanle.

It doesn't matter how many WiFi networks show up on the phone. What matters is if there are so many networks competing for bandwidth that they interfere with each other to the point that connections become poor or impossible. Or, if there are too many devices trying to connect to the same WiFi network. There's a limit to how many devices a WiFi router can handle.

The latter was likely the problem you had in the store. All the demo devices, employee's phones and who knows what else was just overloading the network.

Nothing you can do about the store's network being overloaded. It's their problem.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: To many WiFi-networks for my phone to hanle.

You should be able to sort by signal strength (Menu/Advanced/Sort by). You normally want to connect to the strongest (therefore, the nearest) signal. Maybe the second nearest.

If you're in a store with 100 wifi access points, as Crashdamage said, even if you can connect, you probably can't communicate because of all the interference. Think of communicating with someone in a huge crowd, when everyone is yelling at the top of his lungs - no one can understand anything. With Wifi, that means 5 minutes just to get enough data across to connect. Every packet that's interfered has to be resent, so either the connection attmpt is going to time out or it'll take a few thousand tries to get a packet through.

A store doing that is one in which the owner doesn't understand anything about wifi. If he did, he'd turn on the signal the customer was interested in, demonstrate the device, then turn wifi off on that device.

NFC is totally different - wifi shouldn't be interfering with it. (It's not an electromagnetic signal, wifi is, so they have nothing do do with each other - in theory. In practice, if there's too much noise [too many wifi signals], nothing can communicate with anything on any frequency or using any mode.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non