Why can't I seem to update my Google App?

keithy397

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Google App Problem

Hi, Whenever the Google app updates it stops working. I have to uninstall the updates and go back to the original version before it works properly. It frustrating too that I can't stop the updates.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google App Problem

Which phone and android version do you have? You can always select "do not auto update" in the Play Store settings. If you want to keep that option you can stop an specific app to auto update. On the play store tap on Google app, tap on the three dots top right and uncheck there.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Do you have activated the Now cards? If so uncheck them in the app settings. Also, in settings - apps clear cache and data, and force stop the Google app. Reboot your phone and see if the problem persists.

keithy397

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Javier. I had no idea about the three dotted 'do not autoupdate' saviour!! :D

Is this a common problem? Seems a shame it won't work for me...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I don't think that's a common problem. It could be an incompatibility with your phone, some conflict with another app, some settings that need to be changed ... Who knows. Have you tried the things I posted before? Try to start with a clean app and see if it helps.

keithy397

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I will try what you wrote above Javier but I can't try to start with a clean app as it won't let me remove it altogether, unless I force the uninstall I suppose but I'm a bit unsure as to the repercussions (if any?) of doing that.

keithy397

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Do you have activated the Now cards? If so uncheck them in the app settings. Also, in settings - apps clear cache and data, and force stop the Google app. Reboot your phone and see if the problem persists.
Tried that Javier, no joy. I'm happy with the original version (now it doesn't keep updating), got no choice really, another 11 months before my contract runs out!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Tried that Javier, no joy. I'm happy with the original version (now it doesn't keep updating), got no choice really, another 11 months before my contract runs out!!

There must be some kind of incompatibility. I'll let you know if I find something else.