What just happened to my phone's LCD and storage ? Backlight?

A

AC Question

what just happened to my phone's LCD and storage ? Backlight?

Earlier today, I noticed that instead of a black screen, the LCD has become low lit grey when my phone goes to sleep! I also noticed that all of a sudden, my SD card started "misbehaving". The app Google Play Music and my phone's Gallery only showed the music and image files saved on the internal memory. And yet, my VLC player had ALL media files, including those on my micro SD card. So I had to check my SD card by clicking File Manager. In Quick View, my files saved on my SDc could not be found. However, there was the EXTERNAL MEMORY option; all my stuff was on it and read. So, what I did was reboot the phone.

When it turned on again, there was a notification that my SD card was safe to remove, even though I DID NOT unmount it! So I mounted it again, and waited a few minutes to see if my files would be loaded. Unfortunately, the same issues persisted after several times of rebooting, mounting and
unmounting, and re-inserting my micro SD card. I also made sure that the problem's not with my micro SD, so I inserted it to my cousin's LG. Hallelujiah, it worked just fine.

Now, every time I turn off and on my phone, "SD card is safe to remove" always pops up. Also, I tried uninstalling my recent apps to no avail.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: what just happened to my phone's LCD and storage ? Backlight?

Welcome to Android Central! First, is the screen issue resolved? Is the phone turning on normally?

Second, I'd be concerned the card is either corrupt or starting to fail. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Assuming the computer can read it, backup all of the data now. Then use chkdsk to check for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html. If you want to be safe, consider replacing the card. Make sure you buy a reputable brand (like SanDisk, Samsung, or Lexar) from a reputable store (rather than some random online seller), since counterfeit cards are common.

You can check to see if your card is counterfeit by using SD Insight.

Myra Villanueva

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for your advice. My SDc is actually a SanDisk, and I bought it from a legit store. Anyhoo, I'm going to do those ^. I also reset my phone and the SDc issue was resolved. Unfortunately, the problem with my phone's screen was not. As soon as I put the battery in, it turns bright.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In that case, the problem may lie with the phone's hardware--perhaps something on the motherboard is failing. That could conceivably lead to SD card malfunctions as well (since it's the reader that's malfunctioning, not the card).

Myra Villanueva

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

The dealer decided to replace my phone, even though it was way past the replacement warranty period. They told me it's probably a factory defect. So far, things with the new one are good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a good dealer! Give 'em 5 stars in a Yelp review.:)