Help with Theme - Launcher & Settings Force Close's

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I am trying to make a theme for the myTouch 4G that will show up in the Personalize section for the themes. I downloaded the source of a theme from github and loaded it into Eclipse. I modified the androidmanifest.xml so it would say the name I want instead of what it had, "Androidian." So I loaded the apk onto my phone and installed it no problem. Then when I went to apply the theme in the settings though, I got continuous FC's and it wouldn't load the theme. I had to do a nand restore. Can anyone help me fix my apk so that it wont do this and so it'll load correctly? Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So I am trying to make a theme for the myTouch 4G that will show up in the Personalize section for the themes. I downloaded the source of a theme from github and loaded it into Eclipse. I modified the androidmanifest.xml so it would say the name I want instead of what it had, "Androidian." So I loaded the apk onto my phone and installed it no problem. Then when I went to apply the theme in the settings though, I got continuous FC's and it wouldn't load the theme. I had to do a nand restore. Can anyone help me fix my apk so that it wont do this and so it'll load correctly? Thanks.

Did you use a ".apk" program to de compile and recompile your ".apk" ? If not then there is your answer. The only thing you can modify/change within an ".apk" is the graphic files/images ".pngs,jpeg,jpg" without using a de compiler/re compiler program. You can do that simply by slipping them in using 7zip or WinRAR.

The program/link I have below should get you on the right track to modifying your ".apk" properly. This is what I used to modify themes/apps.

If you need more help let me know I can offer what I know which isn't a whole lot but I have successfully used it dozens of times to modify framework-res.apk's and other various .apk's, adding battery mods and changing XMLs for various reasons.

Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux) credit - XDA Developers

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have alot of expertise here but the lines you need to change are not located in the androidmanifest.xml but in the following going from the link you sent me.

/res/values/strings.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources xmlns:xliff="urn:eek:asis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2">
<string name="app_name">Androidian Theme</string>
<string name="theme_name">Androidian</string>
<string name="style_appearance_name">Androidian</string>
<string name="author">T-Mobile MSD</string>
<string name="copyright">T-Mobile</string>
</resources>

This is the xml you need to modify. Change whichever lines you need, this will change what is displayed on your screen. Only modify what is needed in the XML to point to the correct files/strings, etc.

Try this and if it still is giving your FC's then you may have to use a re-compiler like I suggested earlier. I haven't used Eclipse yet, I've started messing around with the Android SDK tools and haven't had a lot of success yet. I've done all my editing using the program I suggested and Notepad ++ to do my edits.

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have alot of expertise here but the lines you need to change are not located in the androidmanifest.xml but in the following going from the link you sent me.

/res/values/strings.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources xmlns:xliff="urn:eek:asis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2">
<string name="app_name">Androidian Theme</string>
<string name="theme_name">Androidian</string>
<string name="style_appearance_name">Androidian</string>
<string name="author">T-Mobile MSD</string>
<string name="copyright">T-Mobile</string>
</resources>

This is the xml you need to modify. Change whichever lines you need, this will change what is displayed on your screen. Only modify what is needed in the XML to point to the correct files/strings, etc.

Try this and if it still is giving your FC's then you may have to use a re-compiler like I suggested earlier. I haven't used Eclipse yet, I've started messing around with the Android SDK tools and haven't had a lot of success yet. I've done all my editing using the program I suggested and Notepad ++ to do my edits.

Ok, so I tried just changing the strings.xml, still no luck though. Then I tried to use apkmanager and I was able to successfully decompile then recompile, but the installation caused FC's still. Is there any other options I could try? Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried just changing the strings.xml, still no luck though. Then I tried to use apkmanager and I was able to successfully decompile then recompile, but the installation caused FC's still. Is there any other options I could try? Thanks.

Not too sure really. I'm not running the same device as you so testing the .apk out might be difficult. If you would like to PM me with a link to the finished .apk your trying to install I could look at it and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. You could grab yourself a 4shared.com account for free and host it on there. FC's can be caused by some of the simplest things and cause the whole package not to work. Example, a filename in a string wrong, graphic image improperly sized causing the framework of the phone to be thrown off completely.

If you do decide to have me look at it, just give me a decent description of what your trying to change/do.

No promises but I can give it a look over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty