Automatically Dial/Enter Numbers During Call?

siouxdax

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
When I make a call to (for example) check on my account balance, is there a way for my phone to automatically dial/enter my card number?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you add the number with the right number of waits (they're 2 seconds per comma), it might work - if the bank's voicemail system is consistent. Or you can put in a pause before the number - then just hit one key to send it.

siouxdax

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Okay, just want to make sure I understand you. I should just edit the contact number by using commas as two-second pauses? And what did you mean by "you can put in a pause before the number - then just hit one key to send it"? Not sure I understand.

And thank you for the help! :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If you use a comma ',' it pauses then automatically enters the digits after the comma. If you use a semicolon ';', it waits and you have to tap 'Send' on a dialog on the screen. The wait is what Rukbat is referring to in relation to inconsistent times for the voice response.

One thing, I'd be cautious about using this for bank or credit account information entry. If someone gets hold of your device or your account and gains entry to it (and your contacts), your credit card or bank account number is right there in clear text.

siouxdax

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hallux, thank you for the clarification. The digits I want to send are not a credit/debit card; it's my EBT (food stamp) card number. Thank you so much for the help! :)

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, it turns out that it only allows me to enter a dash, period, space, and of course the star, and pound. Is there another way?

Are you trying this from your contact list or from the dialer? I haven't tried it in a contact's listing, but on my Nexus 6 with Google Dialer, once I enter any number, I get a vertical three dot menu to the left of the number with the options to "Add 2-sec pause" which inserts a comma and "Add wait" which inserts a semi-colon.

siouxdax

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I was trying to edit in the dialer. I keep my contacts in Google Contacts. Should I try editing the number in Google Contacts? In case it matters, my phone is an Alcatel OneTouch Evolve 2 (yes, I know, crappy).