Can internal memory be expanded with an SD card (without rooting the device)?

GideonG

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a duplicate question, I can't seem to find any definitive answers anywhere!

I was wondering if there is a way to increase the internal memory of a phone with an SD card without rooting it? I'm not too keen to void any warranties on a phone by rooting it, and I'm not phone savvy enough to go poking around the workings without more likely than not bricking it!

I heard that Android 5 could partition parts of SD cards to use as internal/working memory and I was wondering if this was still the case?

I ask because I'm looking at upgrading my phone and I was wondering if Android 5 had the above ability, because it would make a new phone far cheaper as I could buy a mid-range phone and expand the memory rather than shelling out for a high end phone!

Anyway, once again, apologies if this is a duplicate, and sorry for rambling!

Regards,
GideonG

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There's a option in Marshmallow to format SD card as internal storage.
This, but keep in mind it essentially ties the card to the phone. You wouldn't be able to use it in other devices without formatting it again.

I personally don't like the idea because I want the flexibility to swap things around as needed. To address the OP's reasoning of being able to buy a mid range phone, I'd be cautious. Yes, those phones are going to be cheaper, but they are also more likely to have lower performance specs in addition to a smaller internal storage. If you buy one of them, then start loading it up with apps on the adopted storage of the SD card, you could wind up with lag and other performance related issues even with lots of space left over. So in the end, it may not be worth the trade off.

This may or may not apply to the OP depending on usage, but something to consider at least. It may be a better option to buy a year old flagship instead.

GideonG

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone!

Marshmallow is Android 6 isn't it? Thanks for the help, that's great!

Regarding the issue of portability, I have a micro SD card in my current phone that I never move around, so for my usage that's not so much of an issue. I tend to transfer files via USB to the phone anyway, so if the formatted microSD was 'stuck' with the phone, that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Regarding the lag issue, performance isn't a massive concern of mine so much as multiple app storage (not even running at the same time). THe majority of apps I use on my phone tend to be low performance heavy things (a lot of apps relating to my university, campus maps and timetables and the like. Really the only performance heavy app I'm likely to get would be Pokemon G. :p And even that isn't a huge issue if it's performance isn't all that great.

Thanks so much for your help though everyone!