WiFi file transfer PC to Phone won't work properly (opens a browser instead of Explorer)

Riftvalley

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I use WiFi File Transfer app to move files between my Samsung S6 and my PC. This worked brilliantly, I would open WiFi file transfer, copy the URL ftp://...etc...etc.. Into Explorer on my laptop and Explorer would then display the file structure of my S6 and I could transfer and mange files.
Something has now changed and instead of explorer opening Firefox browser opens and although I get a list of folders in the browser I cannot transfer files any more.
How can I restore this so that on entering the URL it is Windows Explorer that opens and not a browser (Firefox).

Note that I have the same problem with a Nexus 7

Kind regards

Martin

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It was actually using Windows Explorer (i.e., the Windows file manager) before, and not Internet Explorer? The wi-fi file transfer program I use (Wi-fi File Explorer) uses a web interface on the browser, not Windows Explorer.

Riftvalley

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi B.Diddy,
Many thanks for the kind and friendly welcome to this forum.

Sounds like you use a similar program. All I do is to type the URL into windows explorer and a window in Windows Explorer used to open with the file structure of the Android device. What now happens is that a web browser (Firefox) opens, the browser window shows the files on the android device and can open them, but what I cannot do (probably my lack of knowledge) is to transfer the files that I see in the browser window between PC and phone. I would much prefer to see the files in Windows Explorer, I suspect that I need to change some options in Windows Explorer to restore this.

If this does not work how can I transfer files in the browser window, as it appears that is what you do?

For example, if I drag or copy an image into the browser all that happens is that the image opens in the browser, but what I want is to transfer the file, not open it. Same thig if I try to move an item out of the browser window.

Kind regards and thank you for the swift reply.

Martin

PS I tried all ways of using the browser to send images and some small video but all it does is open the file, not transfer it.

M

Last edited:

Riftvalley

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for reply
I have a different App https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.file.transfer&hl=en&token=3su4MqHb and this shows file transfer within Windows Explorer rather than a browser.

I think that I will use the app that you referred to in the link, this shows a much better interface and appears to offer a better interface (with a help file) on the PC.

Many thanks for your assistance, I will preserver and try to compare the two apps.

Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez