Facebook messages on a phone without Facebook app

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is really weird. Hubby started getting someone else's FB messages on his phone. He doesn't have a FB app, we both checked his phone apps several times. He doesn't even have a FB account.

It's a conversation between 2 people he doesn't know. After watching this conversation back and forth for a while and listening to his text message tone go off (not the FB pop) over and over again non-stop every time these 2 said something to one another we jumped in with a message asking them to please check their settings because he was getting their messages. When he posted it, it posted as one of them not even as himself! It looked like this person was talking.

Because these messages were coming in with his Messenger text app *tone* I checked to see if the messages were in his Messenger and they're not. They were displaying as FB messages.

Once they got creeped out after realizing their conversation was not private they said they were moving their conversation to texting and hubby's phone stopped getting their messages and thank goodness the tones stopped. These people were back and forth like crazy so his phone was making almost constant noise.

I take care of our phones cuz I'm more savvy than hubby with them. I don't have a clue how this happened and I sure don't know how to make it stop.

Is this maybe malware? Anything I should look for in his phone?

Thanks!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Could you clarify -

Your husband does not have a Facebook account.

Facebook Messenger is not installed on his phone..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, how do you know they were FB chat messages? I've heard of regular SMS messages showing up on the wrong phone, but not FB chat messages. I'd bring this to the attention of the carrier. Do you still have that conversation thread saved in your stock Messaging app?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Could you clarify -

Your husband does not have a Facebook account.

Facebook Messenger is not installed on his phone..
Correct. We closed his FB account a long time ago. I don't think he had the app ever installed on this phone.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, how do you know they were FB chat messages? I've heard of regular SMS messages showing up on the wrong phone, but not FB chat messages. I'd bring this to the attention of the carrier. Do you still have that conversation thread saved in your stock Messaging app?

They displayed with the FB or FB Messenger logo. I don't remember which.

I will double check his phone but he just left so I won't have access to it for about a week.

lerdsuwa

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Some time ago I also got someone else chat messages (but on my PC's Facebook). I suspect Facebook, in a very rare chance (due to some race condition bug), got mixed up on where should those chat messages be delivered and they got sent to me as well. They just pop up but going back to look at message history, they are not there.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Some time ago I also got someone else chat messages (but on my PC's Facebook). I suspect Facebook, in a very rare chance (due to some race condition bug), got mixed up on where should those chat messages be delivered and they got sent to me as well. They just pop up but going back to look at message history, they are not there.
Pretty sure that's the same thing here.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They displayed with the FB or FB Messenger logo. I don't remember which.

I will double check his phone but he just left so I won't have access to it for about a week.
I think some Android phones have the FB app installed as bloatware. So I'd double check the app manager and see if it's already installed even though your husband didn't personally install it. If so, you should be able to at least disable it if not fully uninstall it. My guess is this was a server side bug, not anything you guys or even your carrier could help with.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My guess is this was a server side bug, not anything you guys or even your carrier could help with.

Man, if that's a server-side bug, everyone should be verrrrrry leery about the security and privacy of their FB Messenger chats!:eek:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think some Android phones have the FB app installed as bloatware. So I'd double check the app manager and see if it's already installed even though your husband didn't personally install it. If so, you should be able to at least disable it if not fully uninstall it. My guess is this was a server side bug, not anything you guys or even your carrier could help with.
Checked there 3x, it's not there.