Can't change phone number type

calvin2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
On my wife's Note 5, standard Contacts app (Android? Samsung? Not sure, came pre-installed) there's a contact with two phone numbers, both labeled Mobile. One is actually Home. I've tried changing it & it changes, but the change doesn't show up after I tap Save.

Open the contact, tap Edit. Tap Mobile beside the home phone number. Choose Home. The edit screen shows that the phone number is now Home. Tap Save. The contact screen still shows that the phone number is Mobile. How can I change it so the change is actually saved?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On my wife's Note 5, standard Contacts app (Android? Samsung? Not sure, came pre-installed) there's a contact with two phone numbers, both labeled Mobile. One is actually Home. I've tried changing it & it changes, but the change doesn't show up after I tap Save.

Open the contact, tap Edit. Tap Mobile beside the home phone number. Choose Home. The edit screen shows that the phone number is now Home. Tap Save. The contact screen still shows that the phone number is Mobile. How can I change it so the change is actually saved?

Try deleting the number entirely, saving, re-entering the number with the correct tag.

Does that work?

calvin2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll try that next time I work on her phone. Meanwhile, any other ideas? Because this is a work-around, not a solution. The phone simply should not be acting like this. Think she's got a lemon? BTW, re-reading my original post I see that I asked the question poorly. I did ask how to fix it-and was answered. Now I'm asking why it's occurring. Sorry for the confusion.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just one thought: are you sure this is a local/phone contact and not one that is coming from another database? An Outlook or work contact, for example? If that is the case, then she may not have editing privileges for that particular contact using the phone app.

On my Google Pixel XL Contacts app, menu -> Settings -> Contacts to display. Disable everything except the primary account and see if the offending contact is still in the list. If not, then it is not a local/phone contact.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I have exactly the same problem and didn't see the need to clutter the forum with a new thread. My phone is a Galaxy S7 running Oreo 8.0.0. Deleting and re-entering the number is not an option because the problem exists throughout my contact list. However, the mention of another database caused me to think about the fact that my contact list was imported from my previous phone, a Galaxy S4 Mini. Could that be a factor? My "Default" number designations were not retained during the transfer either. For the record, my "Contacts to show" is set to "Phone". Any ideas?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess nobody's monitoring this thread any more.

Hi -- threads aren't actively monitored by anyone here. It just depends on someone who happens to see the thread show up with a recent post and has something to contribute.

It certainly could be some issue with the fact that the contact was imported or transferred from some older phone. I typically recommend getting all contacts into Google Contacts, because that way, they sync easily and seamlessly across devices. Editing them is simple, and can be done on your computer browser as well as your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38