Message settings. Why do I see "typing" on some contacts and not others

Brittany Israel

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I found my settings to turn on this setting. It helps when I'm texting my SO. and I need to know if they received it or busy and so on but I want this function with my grandmother also for peace of mind. What effects who I can see and who I can't and how can I fix that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This isn't a carrier stock app is it? I'm assuming you have a Note 5?

What phone does your SO has, and whst does your grandma have?

Seeing the 'typing' on the sms app is actually not normal since it's not an SMS protocol. Some devices like the Note 5 got it added via the Enhanced Messaging feature, but that's only compatible with other Samsungs with that feature AFAIK. If your grandma is using something else, you won't get it.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I found my settings to turn on this setting. It helps when I'm texting my SO. and I need to know if they received it or busy and so on but I want this function with my grandmother also for peace of mind. What effects who I can see and who I can't and how can I fix that.

If you and the others are using the same carrier and have "enhanced messaging" (or the like) turned on, you may see some extra status results that are not supported by the standard SMS system.