Update notification, is it real?

A

AC Question

I keep getting a notification to update my phone but the settings says I am updated. The notification says it is for emergency mode services. Is this legit or is it a scam and if it is a scam how can I make it stop?

Recondon

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
re:

I have a 6s active and am with at&t. I did not get the screenshot of the message because I hit the wrong button but will get it next time it comes up. I attached the notification I got though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170819-070127.jpg
    Screenshot_20170819-070127.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 10

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thank you and welcome as new member. :)

It seems genuine to me, but I'm not familiar with either Samsung devices or AT&T, so I'll move the thread to the General Help & How To forum for higher visibility by members who will know more.
I'll also pass this to other team members, some of whom may be able to comment.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

I have a 6s active and am with at&t. I did not get the screenshot of the message because I hit the wrong button but will get it next time it comes up. I attached the notification I got though.

If you are referring to the Galaxy Apps notification, that is legit. That is for the Galaxy app store on your device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
re:

Like Golfdriver stated, that's not a system update, it's Galaxy Apps installed on your phone. To review them, open Galaxy Apps, log in (if needed) with your Samsung account, go to My Apps, and then the Update section. Note that if you had the auto-update feature activated, you might see the notification while the apps have already been updated though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Here is the screenshot of the message.

Like Golfdriver stated, that's not a system update, it's Galaxy Apps installed on your phone. To review them, open Galaxy Apps, log in (if needed) with your Samsung account, go to My Apps, and then the Update section. Note that if you had the auto-update feature activated, you might see the notification while the apps have already been updated though.

Have you seen that image before Spook? You are the resident modern Samsung expert in this thread at the moment.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Have you seen that image before Spook? You are the resident modern Samsung expert in this thread at the moment.

Definitely not for that service... now I wonder if it's an ATT component. Like others mentioned it's too small to be an OS update, and that is probably not related to the Galaxy Apps update notification above, but this does mention a system component. Looks legit, but until an ATT user chimes in, I can't be certain. I don't have that update on my T-Mobile one.

Recondon

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Re:

I am always worried about scams so I will wait to actually allow it to do anything until I get a chance to contact AT&T. Thanks for all the information everyone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re:

I am always worried about scams so I will wait to actually allow it to do anything until I get a chance to contact AT&T. Thanks for all the information everyone.

If you open Galaxy Apps, is there an update for anything resembling that 'Emergency' app or mode? If so, then that's what's prompting it... I just never saw an 'urgent' update come from Galaxy Apps before, just OS updates.

Recondon

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Re:

It did not come up with my normal apps but when I typed in emergency it did come up as needing updating. I guess it is legit. Thanks.