Verizon contract is up - what should I get?

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
My whole family's contracts are up, so this is a great time to get a new phone.

Except for choosing one.

My situation:

I'm locked into Verizon by my parents, no AT&T (wouldn't want it anyway), nor Sprint.

What is the best phone that is currently on Verizon right now? I do live in an LTE area, 45 minutes west of Chicago, so want that speed, but I also spend my summers and holidays up in Michigan, unfortunately an hour and 45 minutes north of where the LTE was turned on there.

Rooting is also an important thing for me, because I love to customize and use ROMs.

Should I get a phone now, like the Thunderbolt or the Charge, or wait for an SGS2 or a Bionic?

Thanks (and sorry about the long situation)
~tehsusenoh

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay...

Could you explain why I shouldn't wait for a better phone?

There are better phones coming out all the time. It's up to you on what you think you need right now. The next Nexus phone is rumored to support LTE and insane specifications. People are hoping for a Verizon release but nothing is known and everything "leaked" about the phone is speculative. If this phone is released it probably won't be until the end of the year.

Thunderbolt, Charge are the two new phones on Verizon with LTE capabilities. The Droid Bionic is expected for release within the very near future and will have high end specs (just search Bionic and see what it's expected to have). If you can hold out for a few months, then do so. You'll have some more devices to see and may prefer something that's not yet released.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest anything Nokia. Non-Android. No updates to worry about.

No worries. It makes ph clls. Sends SMS. Plays music.

Keep it simple

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
There are better phones coming out all the time. It's up to you on what you think you need right now. The next Nexus phone is rumored to support LTE and insane specifications. People are hoping for a Verizon release but nothing is known and everything "leaked" about the phone is speculative. If this phone is released it probably won't be until the end of the year.

Thunderbolt, Charge are the two new phones on Verizon with LTE capabilities. The Droid Bionic is expected for release within the very near future and will have high end specs (just search Bionic and see what it's expected to have). If you can hold out for a few months, then do so. You'll have some more devices to see and may prefer something that's not yet released.

I'll probably wait for a while, the enV won't die quite yet.

I would suggest anything Nokia. Non-Android. No updates to worry about.

No worries. It makes ph clls. Sends SMS. Plays music.

Keep it simple

Uh, no.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Rule of thumb. look at what you can afford, then add 20 percent.

Go for the newest. Screw coverage, bragging rights at your age, go a long way. who cares if it works, think of the girls you will impress.

Lay it down on the table, and whhhooooooo..... an HTC sensation.

The heck with parents. Sometimes you have to nut up, or shut up. (zombieland)

tehsusenoh

May 26, 2011
teh.cx.cc
Backwards advice is backwards.

I thought these were supposed to be the friendliest forums.

Oh, and grats on your 400th post here, only one post away, hope it's a serious one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress