Disable periodic password prompt?

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 running the latest version of Android.

This is a thing that has existed as long as I've had the phone, but now I'm sick of it.

I log in to my phone using the fingerprint reader, but every nth log in (not sure how many) it requires a password.

Sometimes you need to log in to your phone quicker than it takes to enter your password. I know the chances are slim, but is there any way to disable this requirement?

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
It's a silly "security feature" then. Because I can completely disable the fingerprint thing, the iris thing, the face thing, and require no password to open the phone. The only time that the "security feature" might provide security under those conditions is if someone tries to open the phone and they're unlucky enough to do so on the 1 in n number of times that it requires a password. So if I can disable all barriers to entry to the phone under most circumstances, then I should be able to disable the stupid periodic password thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint actually isn't the most secure way to lock the phone -- a PIN, password, or pattern that's hard to guess is significantly more secure.

I think there are certain criteria where the phone will prompt the user for the backup login method -- e.g., if there are multiple failed attempts with the fingerprint, or if the phone just did a cold boot.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a silly "security feature" then. Because I can completely disable the fingerprint thing, the iris thing, the face thing, and require no password to open the phone. The only time that the "security feature" might provide security under those conditions is if someone tries to open the phone and they're unlucky enough to do so on the 1 in n number of times that it requires a password. So if I can disable all barriers to entry to the phone under most circumstances, then I should be able to disable the stupid periodic password thing.
I believe it done periodically so you don't forget your password or pin

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it "periodically"? Or is it that if you try to open the phone after the lockscreen activates you have to log in, but if you try to open it before the lockscreen activates you don't have to? That's normal. (If the phone is rooted, you can keep the screen off with Quick Reboot Pro - it keeps the screen from locking.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
U use a pin as opposed to a password. It's faster, and for the required re-entry of your credentials, less of a hassle.

What do you need to get in the phone that quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty