Why Not To Buy A New Phone Just for the 5G

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
US 5G is really 4G plus a little. It's as much 5G as a Chevy is a Sherman tank. If you're in Saudi Arabia (the fastest at this time), you'll get consistent speeds over 400mbps. but in the US, in most locations, even Verizon won't go over 50mbps (if you're lucky). Then again, the internet is running about 6mbps for non-local connections, so even if you had a 400mbps connection to the tower, the tower isn't getting the data from the server faster than 6mbps - so you won't get it any faster. (And even 3G can go that fast.) About the only thing 5G buys you today is tethering 5 computers to your phone and each one of them doing a large, high speed download. Each one will be downloading at 6mbps at the same time. (That costs 30mbps from the tower, which 5G can handle, but 4G probably can't [although the 4G spec calls for up to 50mbps - but you'll rarely - if ever - see that.)

Mainly, in late 2020, all 5G gives anyone is ... the carriers can cram more users on the same tower with no degradation of speed. But each user isn't going to notice much. (Speed tests are done to local servers, so you can actually see 500mbps speed, and it's legitimate. But when you're downloading from Play, or from GitHub, you're usually back to 6mbps maximum.)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just bought an N20 Ultra and I can't use 5G on it. Last I checked I don't have a 5G tower within 200 miles of me and even if I did Verizon doesn't offer 5G on their grandfathered plans so I'd be looking at an increase if $50 plus a month just to access their towers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much everyone "in tech" has been saying to not buy a new phone because of 5G.

But it's OK if the phone you wanted to buy has it.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Agree. In my case, where I live, I'm more likely to have Gal Gadot sky dive into my property for a saturday night party than get 5G service in the next five years.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Here in the UK where I live I can't even get 3g. No signal at all. But even if I go to local towns or cities, 4g is the only option.

With WiFi almost everywhere now, why the need for 5g? It just eats up more of your presious data, that is, if you can get it.

It's just a way for the carrier's to prise more of your hard earned cash from your pocket without any benefit to us users.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
It goes without saying that 5G isn't nearly fully deployed nor important for consumers to have at the moment.

But phone manufacturers are desperate to keep people (and their wallets) excited so here we are.

droid93

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
Interesting article. It'll definitely be a while before 5G becomes essential especially when many places can barely maintain a 4G connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87