Multi-phoners‽

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My name is Paris and I'm a multi-phoner.

...and so it began. I, like many here, am a phone enthusiast. Last year, at this time I had 5 new phones and had every intention of keeping each. I had a Note 20, Note 20 Ultra, Fold², S20 Ultra, and iPhone 11PM. This year I have 2xFold³s, an iPhone 12 Mini, and an iPhone 12PM. I rationalize this as...

* Fold³s - are awesome but the battery life is not the greatest for a heavy user. They'll get charged more often and so battery wear will be higher. If I switch back and forth between the two battery longevity should last a year without the battery on either getting below 90% total capacity left (makes sense to me). That plus insurance give me peace of mind to just use the phones as heavily as I like without worrying. They Fold³s are also beautifully Android with all the customability and flexibility thet that allows. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE PHONES.

* iPhone 12 Mini - sacrificial lamb for hazardous or questionable environments that are dirty/muddy/dusty/wet. With a decent case she'll take a licking but keep on ticking. Plus, she's compact, if I want to carry a compact device. Battery life...err, um....about that....

* iPhone 12 Pro Max - Big tough booger with great cameras, a flat easily protected and gorgeous display and great battery life. Both iPhones allow me to benefit from iMessage and FaceTime with friends and family that all seem to have iPhones. She's the Dark Knight of my stable.

I know most don't carry multiple phones but many do. It's not the most economical but phones have been a hobby of mine for years. Friends and family don't get and that's okay.

Which devices did you choose and why? Are you a multi-phone enthusiast?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I love hearing these kinds of stories and I too believe that there would be benefits and excellent reasoning for owning multiple phones - even multiple phones from different platforms.

I only have one phone right now - a childcare wage isn't enough for my phone enthusiast addiction - but I'd like to own a Pixel phone (which I do), with a OnePlus phone, a Windows Phone (because I never had the opportunity to try one), and maybe even an iPhone.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I love hearing these kinds of stories and I too believe that there would be benefits and excellent reasoning for owning multiple phones - even multiple phones from different platforms.

I only have one phone right now - a childcare wage isn't enough for my phone enthusiast addiction - but I'd like to own a Pixel phone (which I do), with a OnePlus phone, a Windows Phone (because I never had the opportunity to try one), and maybe even an iPhone.

You missed out on Windows phone, never had the spare cash to buy one years ago to run along side a Samsung Note, but they were good phones minus the poor app selection. At this point they're basically obsolete.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You missed out on Windows phone, never had the spare cash to buy one years ago to run along side a Samsung Note, but they were good phones minus the poor app selection. At this point they're basically obsolete.

I sure did miss out on them! I really wanted a yellow Nokia Lumia but alas, it never happened!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Would never carry two large and heavy phones.

My next dual carry would likely be the Unihertz T-Pocket and something like a Pixel 5a. And that would already be close to 400g in the pockets.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm running small now for the past few weeks.. Iphone 12 pro and z Flip 3... Usually Fold 3 and iPhone... Biggest combo ever was a Note 10 + and Iphone 11 Max

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If I carry 2 phones one is for work and one for personal. I like choosing which phone will be used for personal use. I love the Folds but the iPhones are more practical for my use case. It won’t keep me from using my Fold3s though.

dang1

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
currently: primary carry, most used, is S9+ on airvoice, that hotspots to the S7, secondary carry is S7 on vzw gUDP; just in case one network is unavailable, there's a backup. In my car, running the Alfred security camera app, is a Palm phone PVG100, with its own airvoice sim. At home, used as a hotspot backup , is a Nexus 5 on redpocket, just in case the ATT fiber goes down. The Nexus can also connect via otg adapter to my bgan terminal. I also have a inreach communicator

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When I'm in my truck, I have two phones, my 4XL in my pocket, an Iridium Sat phone in the console (and if Onstar phone can be counted, I actually have three).
I sometimes carry the Iridium on walks in the morning if I walking over to WY with the dogs (cell service cuts out to the east of my house). If I head west, cell coverage is ok.
However, I do have a Droid Maxx and Moto Z-force in two different rooms used as clocks.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When I'm in my truck, I have two phones, my 4XL in my pocket, an Iridium Sat phone in the console (and if Onstar phone can be counted, I actually have three).
I sometimes carry the Iridium on walks in the morning if I walking over to WY with the dogs (cell service cuts out to the east of my house). If I head west, cell coverage is ok.
However, I do have a Droid Maxx and Moto Z-force in two different rooms used as clocks.

That's so cool! I love the range (pun unintended) of phones you have any your disposal!