Manifest V3 and uBlock origin

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As you may or may not know, Chrome is going to update Manifest that will make more enhancements to Chrome. However, it will also severely hamstring extensions like uBlock, adblock, etc.

Now, I'm sure the developers behind all the adblockers are working to make their extensions work on the newer version of Chrome. But in the event that they are behind, will anyone be tempted to change browsers even temporarily?

I've already prepped Firefox (with great reservations) to be a replacement as soon as the new version of Chrome launches.

The only downside to this change is browsers like Vivaldi, Edge and Brave are already built off Chromium, so it's possible those may stop playing well with extensions too.

I will admit, this may be something like the Y2K bug and this thread makes a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm still curious as to what anyone's plans are?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know about this, but I'm guessing devs for the best/most popular extensions like uBlock Origin (which is what I use) will update to make it work before too long, so I'm willing to bear with ads for a short while. Since I'm almost always on my Chromebook, I don't have too many options (I know I can install a separate browser as an Android app, but the experience would probably be subpar).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If uBlock Origin no longer works, then I'll switch to Firefox. I don't have any Chromebooks, so this won't be an issue for me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know about this, but I'm guessing devs for the best/most popular extensions like uBlock Origin (which is what I use) will update to make it work before too long, so I'm willing to bear with ads for a short while. Since I'm almost always on my Chromebook, I don't have too many options (I know I can install a separate browser as an Android app, but the experience would probably be subpar).

I'd be curious how well FireFox works? I'll admit, I'm not thrilled about shifting to FireFox, but I will.

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
I'd be curious how well FireFox works? I'll admit, I'm not thrilled about shifting to FireFox, but I will.
Recently switched to Firefox as my PC daily driver (still use Brave on phone except for YouTube where I have Forefox set up to get ad-free watching and some other nice stuff), and I can say it's excellent. You do have to tweak it a bit and add uBlock and Privacy Badger, but once thoroughly configured it's perfect. Only thing of note is it does score half of what Chromium based browsers do in JavaScript benchmarks, but you ain't gonna notice much unless you're using browser based x86 emulators and other ridiculously heavy stuff. For the most part it feels faster and snappier, especially on Google services like YouTube and GMail (and yes I can notice the difference compared to Brave even on my beefy desktop with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 32GB of RAM). HOWEVER, if you have a laptop you will need to configure things accordingly in Windows if you need Firefox or any fork of it to properly work with the discrete Nvidia graphics card if you have one and need to run stuff like heavy web games and such. Also Firefox is massively faster on Android that Brave is but I hate the mobile Firefox UI for basically everything except YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm already using an older version of Brave on my phone that maintains the older non-grouped new tab layout. I switched to Brave when Google tried to force the group layout despite all the complaints, but chromium eventually removed the old layout all together, affecting all chromium browsers. I haven't updated since, so this change wouldn't affect me anyway.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Just tonight Chrome stopped logging me into my Wells Fargo account after working fine for years. That's on 3 separate phones, 2 with my Google account and one with my wife's (she couldn't log in either), and tried on both home wi-fi and mobile data. I can still log into my other accounts fine, and can log into Wells on Silk and Edge. I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if this problem gets fixed, and if not it's going to be Brave for the win on my phones :p

I only use Chrome for my banking anyway... it kinda sucks for most everything else, which now seems to include banking as well :-\ I did a quick search and it seems this issue has been going on for years.... shame on you Google :mad: It's really kinda sad though, I remember when Chrome was light and fast, not the ponderous, dog-slow, resource hogging ad filled mess it is now.

Oh well, technology marches on ;)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Recently switched to Firefox as my PC daily driver (still use Brave on phone except for YouTube where I have Forefox set up to get ad-free watching and some other nice stuff), and I can say it's excellent. You do have to tweak it a bit and add uBlock and Privacy Badger, but once thoroughly configured it's perfect. Only thing of note is it does score half of what Chromium based browsers do in JavaScript benchmarks, but you ain't gonna notice much unless you're using browser based x86 emulators and other ridiculously heavy stuff. For the most part it feels faster and snappier, especially on Google services like YouTube and GMail (and yes I can notice the difference compared to Brave even on my beefy desktop with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 32GB of RAM). HOWEVER, if you have a laptop you will need to configure things accordingly in Windows if you need Firefox or any fork of it to properly work with the discrete Nvidia graphics card if you have one and need to run stuff like heavy web games and such. Also Firefox is massively faster on Android that Brave is but I hate the mobile Firefox UI for basically everything except YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk
What graphics card do you have?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Just tonight Chrome stopped logging me into my Wells Fargo account after working fine for years. That's on 3 separate phones, 2 with my Google account and one with my wife's (she couldn't log in either), and tried on both home wi-fi and mobile data. I can still log into my other accounts fine, and can log into Wells on Silk and Edge. I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if this problem gets fixed, and if not it's going to be Brave for the win on my phones :p

I only use Chrome for my banking anyway... it kinda sucks for most everything else, which now seems to include banking as well :-\ I did a quick search and it seems this issue has been going on for years.... shame on you Google :mad: It's really kinda sad though, I remember when Chrome was light and fast, not the ponderous, dog-slow, resource hogging ad filled mess it is now.

Oh well, technology marches on ;)

So I switched over to Brave on my phones... works better than Chrome on everything, mainly because of the lack of ads and crazy amount of cookies loading in the background :eek: Should of did it a long time ago, but I liked the syncing abilities of Chrome, and the perceived security. I can still use it to save and load favorites with between devices... I'll just use Brave as my viewer ;)